USS Indra - Great White 9/23 Discovery Diving - Capt. Leroy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdorr68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finally hit a milestone of my 199 and 200th dives yesterday aboard the Captain's Lady, with Capt. Leroy and a nice couple from New York.
First dive was the SS Indra. Our boat was the first to show up for the day and the visibility was in the 40-50 foot range horizontal. Great dive, easy penetration with lots of room to move around inside even when a half dozen other divers arrived. Spades, Black Bass, Bait fish, and about a dozen Barracudas prowling around along with some other stuff. Saw my first Oyster Toad peering through a hole from topside, but never ventured into that part of the wreck, pretty confined space.

Dive #200. Two divers rolled in on the anchor line side, I rolled in opposite. Halfway under the boat my peripheral vision picked up a dark object moving parallel to the anchor line. Almost at the anchor line at 22 foot depth, it was clear enough and close enough to make out, a shark about 8-10 feet. This was my first ever shark to see diving. I was hugely excited. Now it was only about 10 feet from me, moving so slowly just barely gliding by, it was a Great White!:fear: A second or two later it passed within 5-6 feet of the couple and when it did the tail confirmed it, a Great White. It seemed like the time lasted 3 or 4 minutes, but registered only 1 on my dive com. One very quick look to other divers and the thumbs up signal was passed. Out of the water we went. Being a true southern gentleman, haha, I let the wife up before me. Being a father of three, I let her husband follow me. I waited until this morning to post, because I spent alot of time googling up images of the Tiger, Bull, and Sand Tiger Sharks to compare with what I saw in the water. It was the best and scariest dive I've ever called off. Still feeling the adrenaline writing this post. Think I'll be happy for another 2000 dives to pass by before another encounter near the surface. :loopy:

On 6/5/12 we were diving the Hutton with Discovery Dive and my son and I saw an 8-10 foot Great White. We had seen many of the sand tigers thru the week but when you see a Great White...You just know. She came within about 20 ft of us one one pass and we got a long good look at her and then about 5 mins later we got another, shorter look from a little farther away.
What we both agreed on was that whey are not graceful, they are just big and bad a$$ as they swim along. Deffinetly a different sight than the sand tigers that are in the region. It was a great experience to see one.

What a great experience that must have been for you and your son to share. Can't wait for my daughters to be ready to try scuba.
I think so, you really do, "just know" My mind freeze framed the image as soon as it was close enough to see clearly. In the next half an instant, I knew. It was the spookiest feeling knowing we were in the water in a situation that had the potential to end badly.

Another reason I've got to get back to NC!

nice..

So I'm curious... would other NC divers agree that if you see Sand Tiger and Sand Bar sharks, relax and enjoy the show, but get out of the water if you see a Great White?

I certainly agree - sand tigers & reef sharks fun to watch while in the water with them, great whites - different story - watch in awe from the boat

Need to construct a decision tree: Depends on whether I had my camera or not. Then, whether I was set up for macro or wide. If I had the camera and wide - stay in and shoot; no camera or macro, likely get out after watching as long as I "felt" safe. Not sure I would bottom out only to come up with required hang time with a GW hanging around. I've seen video of much larger GWs off NC that the decision tree would point immediately to "Get OUT now!"

Having dived the Indra hundreds of times since she was sunk, I have to say I have never seen a white shark there. This year, particularly over the last month or so I have seen sharks, several sand tigers, a healthy bull shark and an unusually large sand bar shark, the latter two of those on the bow, on deck and on the sand. I shot video of a big tiger shark off the Papoose Ledges a year ago when the caribbean reef shark school was there. I am yet to be in the water with a white, but since I am about to dive the Indra every day for a week, doing the ocean checkouts for 100 University students I hope if there is one there I'll see him/her. If I do, I will get out of the water. It is likely we share at least some of the Massachusetts sharks which have been feeding on pinnipeds for the last few months so....
Mary Lee, the big white (3500lbs) tagged off Massachusetts is now hanging around fifty or a hundred miles off Georgia.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom