USS Kittiwake-Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are looking to make a trip down there when they do sink it. nice short 45 minute flight for us

Hi,
I just regestered and found your thread about your dad. I work for him from 1962 to 1963. I was a second class diver and operated air stowage and the dive manifold on the Kittiwake.
Your dad was a good officer and an all around nice guy. I don't suba dive but the plaque is well deserved. Also, thanks for the great pictures of the Kittiwake. That chamber brought back a lot of memories.

Thanks so much for your kind comments, jcarini. It means a lot to me and my family.

I see that you live in Virginia--are you in the Norfolk area?

I'm going to Grand Caymen in January and hope I can dive this boat. I hope I'm not disappointed by it not being there again!!! It is given me more excitement to the trip to be possibily one of the first groups to dive it. Dive safely

Any updates?

I recieved your message about where I live, but must have deleted it. I do live in Midlothian, VA.

From what we understand as of right now, the 12 day tow will begin November 17th and is to be scuttled on the 5th of December. Of course, all of that can change, dependent of weather, complications, etc.

From what we understand as of right now, the 12 day tow will begin November 17th and is to be scuttled on the 5th of December. Of course, all of that can change, dependent of weather, complications, etc.

If the December 5th date turns out to be accurate, how soon will it be available to dive?
How deep is the site expected to be?

Thank you,
Sara

The most recent story about the USS Kittiwake sinking is found in today's cayman compass; cayCompass.com :: Kittiwake will be sunk 5 Dec.

For those who can't access the web page, here's the story:

Kittiwake will be sunk 5 Dec.
16 November

The retired submarine rescue vessel USS Kittiwake will be sunk on Sunday, 5 December off Seven Mile Beach in the vicinity of the West Bay dock.

The seven-year project, led by the Cayman Islands Tourism Association, is set to give a real filip to the diving and tourism industry when it becomes an artificial reef available to divers and snorkelers alike.

The ship’s final journey starts on Thursday, 18 November as it travels from the shipyard in Norfolk, Virginia. The Kittiwake is scheduled to arrive at Cayman on Monday, 29 November.

There has been worldwide interest in the event, with journalists joined by TV crews including the popular show Mega Movers, which is tracking the journey of the vessel. There will be ex-crewmen, people who have worked on the project and people from all around the globe in attendance.

The Kittiwake was built in 1945 and following its commission in 1946, it made numerous voyages between the United States’ east coast, the Caribbean and the Mediterranean in support of submarines and to conduct rescue missions for the US Navy. It was retired from service in 1994.

In 2008 the Ministry of Tourism signed an agreement with the Cayman Islands Tourism Association for the acquisition of the ship.

Weekend schedule

Following a press conference on Saturday, 4 December at 10am, an onboard ceremony and dedication takes place by invitation only from midday to 1pm. There will be unveiling of the plaques of the founding sponsors and special dedications

The topside viewing is open to the public from 1.30-4.30pm on 4 December.

The main event - the sinking - is scheduled for Sunday, 5 December at West Bay between 10am and 2pm; after this the Kittiwake will be closed to the public.

From 6-8pm there will be a cocktail reception, a silent auction and presentations. There, attendees can bid on artefacts and art from the Kittiwake, meet ex-crew members and learn about the history of the project.

The Kittiwake is closed to the public on Monday, 6 November for inspections, anchor setting, safety checks and so on. There will be guided tours for dive staff only.

Private tours start at 8am for VIP and media on Tuesday, 7 December. It’s a red letter day as it is the first time that this new attraction will be open to the public, from 11am. All timings and schedules are subject to safety clearance
and weather.

Beginning Wednesday, 24 November, medallions for staff and divers and wristbands for snorkelers will be available for purchase from the Cayman Islands Tourism Association.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom