USS Oriskany Diving Rules.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea Mat,

Pessamists! LOL Plus, if it goes down crooked, we'll HAVE to get mix certs sooner!

Least will have a bigass prop to play on if something were to go wrong on the sinking :)

To quote someone involved with the project when asked about the probability of sinking an aircraft carrier upright..."The only people that really have experience with this sort of thing is the Japanese, and we're not inviting them this time.."

Does anyone know when the actual dive trips will begin? Or have they? Anyone gone?

Sinks on the 17th, boats will be heading out that morning(early - LDS's boat will be leaving at 4AM), it will begin sinking at daybreak.

It's so exciting; unfortunately I'm stuck at work. Maybe this summer will look better.

Matt, give us a report. I just vis'ed my doubles. I'm good to go to see that baby. I've got a warmup gulf dive first weekend of June so after that, it's ON! :)

From my research, and discusssion with many dive operators the Oriskany will be approximately 22 miles, by boat, from either Pensacola or Destin. MBT may be getting a little ahead of themselves in setting rules for everyone to dive this great monument. Are we all not taught to dive within our training and experience? In my simple opinion; MBT is making these rules for their own financial oppurtunities. Just an opinion from an advanced, nitrox diver, with more than enough dives and qualifications to do the dive.

LakeScubaDiver:
Does anyone know when the actual dive trips will begin? Or have they? Anyone gone?

While Bugman's answer is correct, that dive boats will be headed out early that morning to the site, and people "will" be diving, it's prob not the answer you are interested in. You won't be able to dive the Oriskany for another few days.

Yes the dive boats will be headed out that day. They will watch the start of the sinking. Then they will divert off to another nearby site to get a in a few dives during the many hours it takes to sink it. ZThey'll then come back to watch it slowly sink some more..... You won't be able to actually dive on the Oriskany until 48 to 72 hours after the sinking. They have stated that they will send down saftey divers to make sure nothing broke free during the sinking (if it doesn't flip) and is safe to dive on.

I'm sure they'll also make sure that all the explosive charges detonated also. Don't want to leave any C-4 around for folks to bring up later.

As for right now, MBT and Gary's Gulf Divers are the only two shops I've seen say they were running trips to it. I'm betting that a couple more will. I asked Panama City Dive Center if they were taking their boats over for the sinking and they said no. I asked Scubatech this week if they would be running trips to it and they said no also.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom