USS Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cant remember the name but there is a good one in the keys for Rec. divers.

The mighty O is not good for someone just starting off with OW certification and having only the cert/check out dives under his/her belt. It is deep! I think the flight deck starts at 130 or 135 ft, and the footage you posted in your link is probably between 105 to 125 ft. She sits in 212 ft of water, and her shallowest portion is at 69 ft.

An OW diver can do it. Just have to maintain depth above a planned maximum, just like an AOW diver would.

Here is a link you may be interested in (OW with additional dives may be proficient to dive to the depth of the footage with a guide/instructor)...http://www.mbtdivers.com/Oriskany Misc.htm

Scousey, welcome to the board. Thanks for sharing the post/link to the footage. It is one footage I have not seen, but I have seen other footage. You are starting off great by sharing interestiung information :wink:

dmDoss, the Keys have the Spiegel Gorove, the Eagle, the Duane, and the Bibb in Key Largo. Ask for the Heavy Metal Tour.

I don't think that I would recommend an OW student or a new diver a Spiegal Grove dive, due to the current and depth. You should be AOW student with a little exp. behind you before attempting it, since it can be tough sometimes.

AZ Desert Diver:
I don't think that I would recommend an OW student or a new diver a Spiegal Grove dive, due to the current and depth. You should be AOW student with a little exp. behind you before attempting it, since it can be tough sometimes.

I'm going down to Key Largo in March, what wrecks would you recommend down there?

I definitly agree on not doing the Spiegel until you have more experience. Even more so, I advise against diving the Duane. It is an amazing experience, but with the depth and especially the current, it's one hell of a ride.

The Eagle's supposedly even rougher, and I dont know anything about the Bibb.

If you are coming to dive in Florida, I would strongly suggest that you get yourself a copy of "Ned Deloach's Diving Guide to Underwater Florida".

ISBN 1-878348-39-6

This is THE book to own. Lists sites by geographic area including depth, features, unique things to see, etc. Has advertising for charters, hotels, and lots of other info. Worth it's weight in gold for frequent Florida Divers.

I would recommend Mike Barnette's Shipwrecks of the Sunshine State over the DeLoach book. DeLoach's book has been updated very little over the years, and has minial information on dive sites available. It also has numerous inaccuracies.

It should also be noted that Mike's book is focused on "real" wrecks, and only includes a handful of notable artificial reefs. It also includes gps co-ordinates for the wrecks listed.

I would agree with Chickdiver if you plan to do mostly wreckdiving in Florida. I have both books, and find value in both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom