USS Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, Can anyone verify if some divers have removes any objects from the Mighty-O, I've heard that that if you are caught...it's not going to be a good day. Personally, I don't advocate the removal of items from ships (wrecks or intentionally sunk)

JimmyC:
Hi, Can anyone verify if some divers have removes any objects from the Mighty-O, I've heard that that if you are caught...it's not going to be a good day. Personally, I don't advocate the removal of items from ships (wrecks or intentionally sunk)

I don't think there is really anything there to take. They stripped her bare before sinking her.

I think it was the Discovery Channel that did an exellent piece on how they got her ready for sinking and how they sank her.

scousegentleman:
Fantastic, thanks.

Do you also know of any wrecks that are off Orlando and a dive shop that I can go out with?

Cool Boba Fett photo!
:D

There are a few dive shops in the Orlando area that run trips to different parts of the state.
I would recommend either Divers Direct,they run trips fairly often or
http://www.rangerrickscuba.com/
Either one is a good group to work with.

Oriskany reef data

Location: 22.5NM 133* from Pensacola Pass. 32.7NM 236* from Destin.
GPS Coordinates: N30:02.6, W87:00.4 or 30*02'38"N Lat, 87*00'25"W Lon
Orientation: Sitting upright with bow facing South.
Depth: Bottom 212ft, Hangar deck 150ft, Flight deck 130ft, and Island 70ft.
oriskany_reef.png

JimmyC:

Yes, a while back, there had been some items taken from the Oriskany. As a result, the information made it to SB, and a very heated thread erupted. The dive shop and perpetrators involved had been identified and contacted by several SB members, heavily chastised (rightfully so), and the event was made public via radio. The dive shop and perps went back to the Mighty O and replaced the items that they took. The incident has been satisfactorily resolved.

Ahhhh.... the power of SB!!!

Charles R:
Oriskany reef data

Location: 22.5NM 133* from Pensacola Pass. 32.7NM 236* from Destin.
GPS Coordinates: N30:02.6, W87:00.4 or 30*02'38"N Lat, 87*00'25"W Lon
Orientation: Sitting upright with bow facing South.
Depth: Bottom 212ft, Hangar deck 150ft, Flight deck 130ft, and Island 70ft.
oriskany_reef.png

Did they put mooring balls on the wreck? The last I heard and this was a while ago was that they did not put mooring balls on it for fear of fishing boats taking up all the spots.OR something ot that effect.

I went to Pensacola this weekend for the express purpose of diving on the Oriskany with MBT Divers. At 7:15am this morning, our trip was cancelled. I will need to reschedule. If you google oriskany, you will find there are a number of dive outfits that have charters to the Mighty O including Down Under in Gulf Shores, AL and MBT Divers in Pensacola. The standard non-deco dive is $149 (2 tanks), and the TEC dive is $199. Neither of these prices includes tanks. Check it out. If anyone is interested in getting together a charter to go, I would be interested. I plan to shoot u/w photography on the wreck.

truck1:
Did they put mooring balls on the wreck? The last I heard and this was a while ago was that they did not put mooring balls on it for fear of fishing boats taking up all the spots.OR something ot that effect.

As I understand it, the local dive shops have installed moorings at their own risk. Last year there were so many dive boats at one time on the wreck, the boats were tying off to each other. It was messy.

I think the mooring balls are submerged so that the dive master has to go down 10 or 20 feet to tie into a mooring ball. (or so I was told as I haven't been out there yet).

I guess this makes sense as I don't see your average fisherman going down 10+ feet to tie in.

mike_s:
I think the mooring balls are submerged so that the dive master has to go down 10 or 20 feet to tie into a mooring ball. (or so I was told as I haven't been out there yet).

I guess this makes sense as I don't see your average fisherman going down 10+ feet to tie in.

Smart move! Definitely a way to keep the fisherman off the mooring balls!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom