USS Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are coming down to dive the Oriskany next week - what are the current water temps like?

Jackie

mike_s:
I think the mooring balls are submerged so that the dive master has to go down 10 or 20 feet to tie into a mooring ball. (or so I was told as I haven't been out there yet).

I guess this makes sense as I don't see your average fisherman going down 10+ feet to tie in.

FYI:
The mooring balls are below 20ft. Several ops have secured them to the wreck. Nothing ruins a divers day faster than getting clobbered with an 40lb anchor dropping from 100 feet above.

When we get on site, I jump in with mask, fins, snorkel and run the line through the shackle and back to the boat.

Oriskany Divemaster:
FYI:
The mooring balls are below 20ft. Several ops have secured them to the wreck. Nothing ruins a divers day faster than getting clobbered with an 40lb anchor dropping from 100 feet above.

When we get on site, I jump in with mask, fins, snorkel and run the line through the shackle and back to the boat.

I drove to Pensacola to dive the Oriskany this weekend, and the shop canceled the trip on Saturday and Sunday. Did you go out yesterday? If so, what dive shop/charter are you affiliated with?

Thanks.

dmdoss:
cant remember the name but there is a good one in the keys for Rec. divers.

There are several good wrecks out of Key Largo. The City of Washington, and the Benwood are both shallow. They are also both old, and not intact.

The Eagle, and Duane are both more advanced wrecks. I think the Decks of both are over 100'. The Grove is hard to classify, but I'd still say advanced. I think there are parts in the 80' range, but the Sand is maybe 140' or a bit deeper, and depending upon current the Grove can be advanced.

I have not done the Bibb, but the sand is at around 140 so not shallow.

Many DiveOps in the Keys require that divers be AOW certified to do any of the deeper wrecks.

jimdiverman:
As I understand it, the local dive shops have installed moorings at their own risk. Last year there were so many dive boats at one time on the wreck, the boats were tying off to each other. It was messy.

Thanks was wondering about how they anchored near the wreck without getting fouled in someone elses anchor line or getting brained by an anchor.
To me it is an essential thing to have a mooring ball to keep things organized and at least safer than nothing at all.

I'll be there the week of the 8th, livaboard onsite for 3 days. Gonna see it all on CCR :)

DEEPTEK:
I'll be there the week of the 8th, livaboard onsite for 3 days. Gonna see it all on CCR :)

What dive op are you using? How many dives do you anticipate getting in? Inspiration or Optima?

jimdiverman:
I drove to Pensacola to dive the Oriskany this weekend, and the shop canceled the trip on Saturday and Sunday. Did you go out yesterday? If so, what dive shop/charter are you affiliated with?

Thanks.

I made four dives on the Oriskany this week, but we scrubbed Sat and Sunday's trip due to weather.

I dive with the Y-Knot a 29 foot Catamaran that gets us to the Oriskany in about an hour. It's a six pack, and since we're usually the first ones on site, our divers get to dive it peacefully. While we're independent, the Dive Pros handle our booking for us.

If you're interested, check out my website, or PM me for more questions. Where did you drive from?

Thanks.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom