USS Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickdiver:
I would recommend Mike Barnette's Shipwrecks of the Sunshine State over the DeLoach book. DeLoach's book has been updated very little over the years, and has minial information on dive sites available. It also has numerous inaccuracies.

I've got both books and like both of them, but Barnettes book lack's a lot of the wrecks and dive sites in the state. His book only has shipwrecks it seems that were sunk long ago and not many of the ones sunk as reefs. For example, in Panama City area I think the only wreck he's got in it is the Empire Mica and few others. (I don't have it handy to verify this right now). It lacks all the other dive sites in Panama City area. His book seemed to be more of a historical reference instead of a diving reference. With that said, I don't think he intended it to be a "dive guide" either. It's still a good book to get, just depends on your purpose.

While DeLoachs book might have some inaccuracies, it's got more wrecks listed and is a better place to start from. After you look through it and find a wreck you might be insterested in, you can of course do further research in Barnetts book (which may or might not contain the wreck), or on the web.

BTW.. I think Mike Barnett's on this board if you want to buy his book. I don't think it's widely published and in all the book stores. You just PAYPAL him and he mails it to you.

Ned DeLoaches book you can get off Amazon.com or any other online bookstore.

scousegentleman:
I'm going down to Key Largo in March, what wrecks would you recommend down there?

Since you're a new diver, the Spiegal Grove can be a little tricky with the strong currents there and the top of the wreck is at about 65 feet. The Duane is a little deep for a new diver.

The wrecks I would suggest to start with in Key Largo is the Benwood and the City of Washington.

The Benwood is a great wreck to start with. It's average maybe 40 to 45 feet deep and has a great amount of coral growth on it. Lots of holes corroded in the deck for fish to hide in. Very low current on the site. It's a favorite for both new and experienced divers.

City of Washinton
http://www.divespots.com/scuba/view.divespot?spotID=303

Bennwood
http://www.divespots.com/scuba/spotID-76/view.divespot

Never did the City of Washington, but agree with prior posts. Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb and Eagle not for the novice. Because of their depth and fact most keys operators only supply 80 cuft tanks most novice divers will have depleated their air supply by the time they hit the wreck. And that doesn't even take into account if there is current!

The Benwood is a good wreck for beginners. Not too deep, fairly intact, lots of life.

PerroneFord:
I would agree with Chickdiver if you plan to do mostly wreckdiving in Florida. I have both books, and find value in both.

Thanks to both of you.

Are there any good websites about wrecks and artificial reefs you can recommend?

- S
:coffee:

scousegentleman:
Hey,

I have just found some great underwater footage of the USS Oriskany at http://www.scubavidz.com/video/31743c5f-fbc3-46aa-9927-988f013cd1d9.htm.

Is that great aircraft carrier a good wreck to dive for an Open Water Diver or are there better wrecks to start on.

Thanks

I'm AOW, currenlty in rescue diver and nitrox class at a college. As earlier posted, the flight deck is at 135 ft, out of recreational limits. Yes an OW could do that dive, but personally I would work up to it. Also, personally, I would not do that dive right now. i have lots of dive under my belt, many deeper ones. I would rather build up to doing a dive like that. I would continue diving training, whether through classes or diving with some one who has experience with deeper dives.

scousegentleman:
I'm going down to Key Largo in March, what wrecks would you recommend down there?

I just got back. I dove with Island Ventures... they are wonderful people.

Recommend these dives, in no particular order:
1. Spiegal Grove... Not a difficult dive, but the current can be strong. Don't plan on seeing more than about 100 feet of the wreck on each dive. Go down the line, swim around and explore for 10 or 15 minutes, head back up the line, make a long safety stop and hold on tight to the rope.

2. Christ of the Deep (also known as Dry Rock Reef).

3. Molassis Reef (Spanish Anchor, Train Wreck, Hole in the Wall, the Windless Winch, etc...). Outstanding reef.

4. The Benwood (do it as an afternoon dive, and then arrange for a night dive) wreck. It's wonderful.

Again, I highly recommend Island Ventures. If you go there, tell them "Captain Ron and Doug" sent you. Darryl and Anne are wonderful folks to dive with.

-Doug

Doug B:
I just got back. I dove with Island Ventures... they are wonderful people.

Recommend these dives, in no particular order:
1. Spiegal Grove... Not a difficult dive, but the current can be strong. Don't plan on seeing more than about 100 feet of the wreck on each dive. Go down the line, swim around and explore for 10 or 15 minutes, head back up the line, make a long safety stop and hold on tight to the rope.

2. Christ of the Deep (also known as Dry Rock Reef).

3. Molassis Reef (Spanish Anchor, Train Wreck, Hole in the Wall, the Windless Winch, etc...). Outstanding reef.

4. The Benwood (do it as an afternoon dive, and then arrange for a night dive) wreck. It's wonderful.

Again, I highly recommend Island Ventures. If you go there, tell them "Captain Ron and Doug" sent you. Darryl and Anne are wonderful folks to dive with.

-Doug

Fantastic, thanks.

Do you also know of any wrecks that are off Orlando and a dive shop that I can go out with?

Cool Boba Fett photo!
:D

There is only one dive op near Orlando, Sea Dogs out of Ponce Inlet in New Symrna Beach. They have a few wrecks that they dive, but be aware the viz is nothing like the Keys. They have a web site if you google them.

The closest consistent diving to Orlando is in the Palm Beach area. Wrecks include the Castor and some others. There is a small wreck near Dania called the Capt. Dan which is an excellent first wreck dive. I use the Starfish out of Lantana, about 2 hrs south of Orlando.

mike_s:
I've got both books and like both of them, but Barnettes book lack's a lot of the wrecks and dive sites in the state. His book only has shipwrecks it seems that were sunk long ago and not many of the ones sunk as reefs. For example, in Panama City area I think the only wreck he's got in it is the Empire Mica and few others. (I don't have it handy to verify this right now). It lacks all the other dive sites in Panama City area. His book seemed to be more of a historical reference instead of a diving reference. With that said, I don't think he intended it to be a "dive guide" either. It's still a good book to get, just depends on your purpose.

While DeLoachs book might have some inaccuracies, it's got more wrecks listed and is a better place to start from. After you look through it and find a wreck you might be insterested in, you can of course do further research in Barnetts book (which may or might not contain the wreck), or on the web.

Not to hijack the thread, but it is true I focused only on "natural" shipwrecks, which was discussed in the forward of my book. However, since its printing in 2003 I have continuously worked on a comprehensive work that will feature many new natural wrecks, but will also include all major artificial reefs. With the sinking of the GROVE and ORISKANY (and pending VANDENBERG), as well as other well-known favorites like the DUANE, there is a real need for accurate information on these wrecks. I hope to have it completed towards the end of this year, and trust me when I say it will blow you away in regard to content. I will have to go home tonight to check what the current total of site narratives that I have in the draft....

UTKnox:
I definitly agree on not doing the Spiegel until you have more experience. Even more so, I advise against diving the Duane. It is an amazing experience, but with the depth and especially the current, it's one hell of a ride.

The Eagle's supposedly even rougher, and I dont know anything about the Bibb.

I dove The Eagle in 9/06. I had about 15 dives at the time and it was no problem. It's deep, but the conditions were good and the current wasn't strong when we dove it. I think my max depth was 105 ft., pretty close to the sand. It was my first wreck and I loved it. If the conditions are decent a new diver will be fine. If you're not comfortable, just abort and go back up the mooring line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom