UTD Quick adjust harness system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AMS

I don't have one of these but I'm considering; if you watch the video it says attach light cans, pockets, etc., onto their short webbing, and leave the harness webbing free.

Thanks for the link. The product seems reasonably priced and universal. The only other similar product I know of is the Agir Harpa which is not sold in the USA. The Halcyon and DSS systems only work with their plates. If you are going to purchase then I would contact UTD as to the type of webbing needed. Other adjustable systems recommend a softer webbing for the harness.

Looks to me like the Harpa is exactly the same thing, except I can't figure out how to buy it off their site or the pricing. Its just an advertisement site. Comes across to me as snooty and customer ignorant not to have web sales ability these days.

Clearly this is one of those products that begs "how does it work". In that, UTD wins my money.

I plan to pick up a few for my student rigs, looks far better than my invention of 2 D rings and a double ender. Cost is very competitive comparatively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned in my post, the Harpa is not available in the US. It is sold through dealers in Europe. You can contact the company and the will sell direct but the price will more likely be more expensive.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2014 at 07:32 AM ----------

AMS

I don't have one of these but I'm considering; if you watch the video it says attach light cans, pockets, etc., onto their short webbing, and leave the harness webbing free.

On the UTD, you would mount the pockets and such on the straps so the webbing can slide. The Cinch works the same way.

I buy AGIR equipment from DIR Direct in the UK, shipping out of the EU they will deduct VAT but ship only by FedEx only so shipping is spendy. I've also used Deep Ideas, also UK based. They have nicer prices on AGIR than DIR Direct but unfortunately will not ship outside of the UK so you'd need to know someone who can forward. I've spoken with the people at AGIR and they are very friendly and helpful. It's nice gear but like Halcyon not sure it's necessarily worth the premium price. Both DIR Direct and Deep Ideas are good to deal with, very professional and fast service I'd recommend either.

I tried it on topside at HQ and it did what it was supposed to do. If you can pull webbing waist straps with your hands to close, and slide a thumb under the shoulder strap to get it off, you're good to go with it.

I tried it on topside at HQ and it did what it was supposed to do. If you can pull webbing waist straps with your hands to close, and slide a thumb under the shoulder strap to get it off, you're good to go with it.

huh? tried which where?

AMS

Let me give you a better answer. For these type of devices to work the webbing needs to slide. Simple devices like the DSS Glide and the Agir Harpa so not have straps to mount accessories like pockets or a light canister. Looking at my Apeks plate it seems they would work with weight pockets because the pockets bolt to the plate and the webbing passes through a loop so it can move. These products would not work with a stationary item that attaches directly to the belt like a pocket, light canister or knife because the webbing cannot slide freely because the item will act as a stop when it hits the end of the plate. I guess if you position the item properly you can get some movement in the webbing to make donning and doffing easier.

Items like this and the cinch have stationary webbing where you attach your accessories. The webbing on the backplate moves independently of the accessories.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2014 at 02:00 PM ----------

I buy AGIR equipment from DIR Direct in the UK, shipping out of the EU they will deduct VAT but ship only by FedEx only so shipping is spendy. I've also used Deep Ideas, also UK based. They have nicer prices on AGIR than DIR Direct but unfortunately will not ship outside of the UK so you'd need to know someone who can forward. I've spoken with the people at AGIR and they are very friendly and helpful. It's nice gear but like Halcyon not sure it's necessarily worth the premium price. Both DIR Direct and Deep Ideas are good to deal with, very professional and fast service I'd recommend either.

There was a post a while back where poster said he was able to purchase the Harpa directly from Agir in Sweden. See post 15 in this thread.

What are the alternatives? Halcyon plate and cinch $389. You can contact Agir and get a harpa sent from Europe which would be more expensive. If you have a DSS steel plate you could purchase two of their glide adapters for $80.

There is no need for *two* DSS Glide Harness Adapters. We recommend using only one. The DSS GHA is not an "Adjustable" Harness, it is an aide for donning and doffing. Once you get one arm free it's easy to roll out of the other side.

In reality there is little need to "adjust" a Hogarthian Harness. I switch between a 3mm wetsuit and drysuit using the same harness. Hog harnesses just aren't that fussy......

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom