UTD's New Sidemount Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please elaborate....
The beauty of sidemount is simplicity combined with a built-in redundancy. In an effort to maintain how they run their long hose to keep deployment consistent, they have increased the complexity and ruined the built in redundancy.

The OP will be famous for all the wrong reasons. I’m surprised he hasn’t asked for the posting to be taken down.

The OP will be famous for all the wrong reasons. I’m surprised he hasn’t asked for the posting to be taken down.
I don't see him as promoting the gear... he just said "Discuss". So, we are.

It's amazing. These guys seem to be spot on with education theory and actually teaching instructors how to teach every skill. Then you see crap like this. WTF? Don't even Get me started on some of their deco "beliefs".

Several years ago in SoCal I was auditing their ESM course to see if UTD was the right fit for me professionally, and I had the amazing privilege (Haha) of taking out one of their now freshly minted instructors who at the time had only ~20 dives beyond his open water. They put him in this sidemount configuration for the first time, and after three hours of "tinkering" (blown fittings and zero instruction for him), they sent him in the ocean with just me for a fun dive. No instructor or other UTD affiliated professional necessary apparently. After a series of excruciating to watch uncontrolled ascents and quite a bit of floundering in the surf, I called it and never went back to UTD. I was so disappointed in the instructor for putting both of us in that situation, and disappointed in myself for going along with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom