UTD's New Sidemount Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As bad as utd's setup is, there is always something worse.

Screenshot_20230522-204520.png

So mixed teams ... so OC can never dive with CC by that logic.

I used to think that the only application of the UTD sidemount system was solo diving photographers who didn't want to let go of their camera. I realize that is wrong due to the failure points. There are too many failure points where the diver can lose all available gas.

Just switch the dαmn regs from time to time. It isn't rocket science.
I havent kept up with UTD in close to a decade now. But I am pretty sure some of the motivation here was to appeal to FFM divers. Especially in aquariums and such where they currently have to ditch their mask to bail to a pony. This is still an abomination though.

Not so sure about the sm set up, but in fairness I do think their podcasts are good, especially the obscure questions media.

How is it that, apparently, anyone who once learned to use backmount is then incapable of learning something different?

Same with UTD's addiction to their version of Ratio Deco when a computer is clearly far superior.

When will we see the UTD CCR? Handlebars with valves and steampunk design?

UTD -- diving's answer to the Amish. Thanks to the OP for the early morning laugh :)

As bad as utd's setup is, there is always something worse.

View attachment 784666
I was mildly entertained by the idea of full face sidemount with quick connects and a manifold block. It's silly, but entertaining. Although once I saw his tank trim, hose routing (or lack thereof) and attachment points... the novelty wore off.

Several years ago in SoCal I was auditing their ESM course to see if UTD was the right fit for me professionally, and I had the amazing privilege (Haha) of taking out one of their now freshly minted instructors who at the time had only ~20 dives beyond his open water. They put him in this sidemount configuration for the first time, and after three hours of "tinkering" (blown fittings and zero instruction for him), they sent him in the ocean with just me for a fun dive. No instructor or other UTD affiliated professional necessary apparently. After a series of excruciating to watch uncontrolled ascents and quite a bit of floundering in the surf, I called it and never went back to UTD. I was so disappointed in the instructor for putting both of us in that situation, and disappointed in myself for going along with it.
Mmmm…….I’m gonna call bunk on this……I hope I’m wrong however….

Back
Top Bottom