Utila beaches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasully

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I'm trying to coordinate a trip to Utila with a bunch of friends for Xmas, and someone told me that the island only has one beach.

A Google search on "Utlia beaches" did not answer this for me.

Is this true? It's a mix of divers and non-divers, and it's a definite no-go if there isn't a variety of sandy beaches for those that don't like to do anything but roast in the hot sun. :cool2:

Oh, and one other thing - is there cave diving there? Pinnacles?

There are technically two beaches, one local and one that's nicer & requires a small fee. Then there are also some remote strips that one can wander onto. Some nice biking and decent hiking. I'd say non-divers could keep busy for 5 days or longer if they are creative. Whale watching boats would be fun. You can rent bikes, the beaches are ok - snorkling not so good. Can go out fishing with the locals. And snorkel around the docks of the dive shops - fun seahorses ;-). There are a few caves on the island. I know airport cave is underwater but sorry - I don't know anything else about it. Some nice cafes, and a bit of interesting culture. A local boat trip to the cays for lunch is nice - you can rent kayaks and paddle around. You can go to the cays for the day & rent kayaks from Cpt morgans and paddle to the island for a snorkel or even camp out.

As a diver Utilia is fantastic - I stayed 1 month in December ;-).

Have fun!

Last edited:
Do you think Roatan is a better place for non-divers? I should clarify - I'm the only diver in the group of 6. Oops. Will there be enough for people to do for 2 weeks while I'm having the time of my life? We were planning on renting a villa. One of the people doesn't enjoy snorkeling (doesn't like to swim, either - strictly a sun-worshipper). Another never has snorkeled before. Another is an avid snorkler and LOVES seahorses. Two will not kayaking. All really love hiking. Hmmm. Maybe I need to pick a different island with more to do for a 2 week stay. Maybe I need to go on a separate vacation!

I was only on Roatan a few nights but it is much larger and more developed.

Wait a few days - I am sure others will give better advice about Roatan.

I just got back from Roatan. It was a total of 5 divers (1 non-diver). We rented a villa (Half Moon Bay Villa). The villa has a small pool and the accomodations were great. Four bedrooms and each bedroom has its own bathroom. Washer and dryer included. The villa is located right on the beach (which is great for the non-divers). There is a beautiful reef to snorkel right off the property. The villa comes with two kayaks for your use. There is a beautiful beach called West Bay Beach (its a beautiful beach). It will cost you $2.00 (water taxi) to take you to this beach. Our non-diver was able to snorkel and roast in the sun. We all had a blast and our non-diver said she really enjoyed herself. Restaurants and bars are located within walking distance. We did our dives with Coconut Tree Divers (great outfit). If you want more information on the villa and/or diving send me a PM.
Curacao may be another choice if you are traveling with non-divers.

There were a few we were looking at. The Sea Breeze, the Taylor house, and the Round House (if less people come).

All excellent choices. Sea Breeze & Taylor house are located on the Eastern/Northeastern side of Utila over in the Paradise Cove, Rocky Point, Red Cliff area if you're looking at a map, a bit away from town but absolutely beautiful snorkeling if the winds aren't up. Beaches along this area will range from sand, to sand & crushed coral, to coral & ironshore. Sea Breeze is on the beach, where Taylor house sits on the road across from the beach... not sure if that makes any difference to you or not. Of the rental houses in this area, my favorite is Tropico Vista Tranquilla, but it is a bit more expensive. This is a primarily a residential/rental community, so you'll most likely have to come into town to rent Kayacks, ATV's etc if they aren't included in your rental.

Bandu Beach, private beach/bar/vollyball etc is located between this area & town, fairly easy walking distance & is acessible for about $3.00pp.

The Round house is located in Blue Bayou, while still out of town, the road in/out is a bit easier than the road from Red cliff. It sits on the beach, and is near the public beach, as well as a smaller private beach in Blue Bayou that's accesible for a small fee. The snorkling in Blue Bayou is beautiful as well, so you can't go wrong with either option. Blue Bayou is a bit closer to activities in town, which might be a benefit to the non-divers? There's 2 restaurants on the public beach (Champas & Carlotta's), and 2 more (Driftwood & Fidi's) just past them, more are farther into town. Bike rentals are available just inside town if they're not included in your rental.

One thing to consider for yourself is getting back & forth to your diving. There are no operators in Paradise Cove, Red Cliff, Rocky Point area, so you will have to come into town to get your boat. Blue Bayou has one operator down at Coral View, but I'm not sure if they take folks outside their hotel guests, so you might check on that.

Other things to do would, for those so inclined, would include renting ATV's to explore the backroads all the way over to the Northside/Pumpkin Hill beach area. Guided hikes to Rock Harbor & up Pumpkin Hill are available through the Iguana Research Station, horseback riding, Fresh water cave exploration, picnic lunch/snorkling on Water Cay (really cool way to spend a day), fishing & more. Massages etc can also be arranged in town. My favorite activity is hammock time, but that's just me!

Yes we have Sea Mounds in Utila, in addition to sheer dramtac walls & overhangs on our North side, and more gentle sloping walls on our South. I'll let Andy, Steve or someone more qualified than I comment on the cave diving. While I have heard of it here, the stories were from the early days & scared the bejesus out of me, but I'm not a cave diver so that could have a lot to do with it :) Steve/Andy any info you guys can share?

UTLGirl,
Thanks! You are a wealth of information!

My plans have changed dramatically in the last day. I was thinking of going to Buddha View in Ko Tao for my DM/IDC this summer and then Utila for the holidays, but now I'm heading down to Utila (UDC) on May 25th-July 25th for my diver ed and I'm going to KT for the holidays. This has been an ulcer-creating decision mainly because I don't think there was really a right or wrong choice as both CDs (Andy @ UDC and Darius @ BV) really wowed me over email, taking the time to answer my 14 million questions. I can already recommend both shops without even seeing either yet - that's how confident I feel about both Andy and Darius. My decision was finally made b/c of family reasons.

Everyone on SB has been so helpful. I have few diver friends up here in Alaska and it's so great to be part of an online community where everyone is so willing to answer any questions I have, whether it be about villa rentals or cold water diving gloves or changing the battery on my computer or help identifying a pipefish.

Yay SB! :luxhello:

Back
Top Bottom