Utila....how remote is this place???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasully

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I had my travel consult the other day for my 8 week trip to Utila to do my DM, and I got vaccinations galore plus anti-malarial pills. The doc encouraged me to bring some sort of water filtration/purification system - better for the environment than buying bottled water. In addition, he suggested that I put together a First Aid kit (not a diver-specific first aid), but a regular First Aid kit. Another friend suggested getting a backcountry First Aid Kit from REI.

Where am I going?? Will I not be able to buy bandaids? Do I need to bring a water pump or something like this?

Where is the nearest hospital? Where do people go when they get sick?

I understand Honduras is a 3rd world country, but I figured Utila was touristy enough and I haven't thought at all about this stuff. Please help. I'm leaving soon and need to get ready if I need to buy all of this stuff.

Thanks! :D

Hi there,

Yes they have a clinic and doctor, a decomp chamber & it's not far from the mainland.

Serious injuries could be a problem. One local died while I was there from loss of blood due to a knife wound from an interpersonal dispute.But he was not rushed to the mainland hopital like I assume a tourist would be.

But overall, most issues can be medically treated, including stiches, etc. And there is a decent grocery there where you can even buy some western things. The ferry can take people to mainland for emergency treatment.

I found it more annoying that vegetable delivery to the island does not happen every day - but after a while you'll get the swing of things and show up at the grocery story on veggie delivery day.

Mostly people stay on the aprox 2 mile tourist strip, but it is beautiful to go jogging or biking around the island. I didn't see lions/tigers or dangerous bears - just a few little Iguanas ;-). Think you'll be pretty safe :wink:. Just watch out for the sand flies & be a safe diver!

I stayed there a month over christmas so feel to PM me if you have any questions - I'll try to answer them :wink:.

-K

Last edited:
So do you think the backcountry survival kit and water pump are overkill?

Having lived on St. Kitts, I'm used to the lack of produce at the stores - that's no biggie. However, the water was fine to drink there.

So do you think the backcountry survival kit and water pump are overkill?

Having lived on St. Kitts, I'm used to the lack of produce at the stores - that's no biggie. However, the water was fine to drink there.

Wouldn't drink the local water but as I recall UDC has water for it's client otherwise bottled water isn't that expensive - if you already own a pump you could bring it and save a little $. Backcountry survival kit? Naw- good to bring eardrops/antibiotics/and just some basic first aid for blisters and regular back up travel med stuff (like mabe pepto). Anti itch cream & bug spray/sunscreen are a must.

It's actually quite civilized :wink:. Product in stores is limited but I still found healty granolia, wester organic soy milk - plenty of eggs/ fish/chicken/rice/cheese/fresh OJ veggies & fruits ;-).

K

Utila isn't NYC but it's not the end of the world. Everything Kathydee is true. It's very small but has all the you need to have a good time and get excellent training. I was there for almost 4 months without any shots or first aid kits. All I needed was sun tan lotion (I burn easy). I did get diarrhea once but the local doc had test done right on the Island and I got the necessary anti-biotics and was cured in a day or two. The doc suspected balliatas.
Water is really cheap and you can get your bottles refilled so no worry about polution.
When you'll get there, all your worries will be gone within a few days and at the end of 8 weeks you'll find it hard to leave. I can almost guarantee that.
By the way I was 61 year old when I did my DM and Instructor training there. I was one of the oldest people on the island and certainly the oldest in the IDE.
Have fun and just be glad you choose this great little island.

Been there about 7-8 times although my stays were brief... a dive or two and we were on our way. Certainly not as "backwoods" as some of the places I've visited to dive. I always take cipro with me when traveling although I've only had to use it once. As for water filtration, I use local bottled water (refills are a great idea). If I remember correctly the Honduran government required us to get yellow fever shots, administered by their own medical team (and at a hefty charge so we weren't sure if they were really necessary or a revenue generator).

Thanks, Dr. Bill! My doc gave me a scrip for Cipro, actually. I thought that was a pretty good idea, and I think they last a while, so I'll have them for my Asia trip this winter if I don't need them in Utila. Great to know about water refills. I don't want to be going through a bazillion plastic bottles, and this means I could bring my Kleen Kanteen and transfer aqua into that.

Gracias!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom