Uwatec Smart Com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffn9940

New
Reaction score
Im a new diver and I am looking at buying the Uwatec Aladin Smart Com. I found a good price but Im not sure of all the pros and cons. Could any one tell me if i would be making a smart purchase

You stand a 80-90% chance of wanting to replace that console within a few years IMO. I would much rather have the UWATEC Smart Tec which is a high pressure hoseless wrist mounted computer. It is very convienent to simply glance at your right wrist to ascertain your your computer functions and your cylinder's pressure reading. In the absence of going in this direction I would strongly recomend going with Diverite's Nitex Dou wrist mounted nitrox computer and utlizing a 2" Diverite SPG for the tanks pressure reading. Here are some links.

Uwatec Aladin Smart Tec Hoseless Wrist Air/Nitrox Computer (wrist unit only)

NiTek Duo Dive Computer by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

Submersible Pressure Gauges (SPGs) - Dive Gear Express

Last edited:
Other than the convience do you know of any technical drawback like a lack of features

Other than the convience do you know of any technical drawback like a lack of features

The Smart Com has all the features you need and it is probaly the best model of its type. One of the best features of this forum is the exchange of information which saves a lot of folks from having to sell off recently acquired equipment when they come to realize the benefits of other gear. I just think you will never regret the hoseless UWATEC rig I suggested. I dive with the UWATEC Gallieo Sol and love it but wish in hindsight that I saved $900 and simply went for the other...

I and several others I know had or have the smart tec....in it's later days (right before the Galileo) it has had major quality issues.. I never had mine work for more than 25 dives in a row (4 times)...The smart com is far more reliable.

The Galileo on the other hand has been flawless for me (they tried me up to it, because I think they got tired of replacing my Smart Tec..)

One might consider the Luna model to save some money...as most people don't use the multi gas function or the heart monitor (('ve used mine on 4 dives.. then put it in the box)

Note: The transmitters are the same for both the smart tec and the galileo.

I have owned two of the smart com's and their just the tops as far as a console goes. if I had not bought a wrist monte from Scuba pro I'd still be diving my smart com. and as far as the features, it has all you will ever need! I do own a Galileo sol and its getting better for me. if you go this route look into the Luna.

I bought aladin in 1993, first computer, still use it, yesterday in fact, when I upgraded, I went with the smart tec, but I was going into more tecnical diving,

great computers, easy to use, mine have held up amazingly well, not all the bells & whistles of Gallileo or some others, but I love them

I have a SmartCOM and generally like it. I'd probably take a wrist mount computer for my next. One thing I've noticed is that the contacts that serve as buttons and be bridged by wet dive gear. So if it's on a moving boat, or is otherwise jostling around, it can get into some weird settings. I have managed to avoid this by keeping it turned away from the gear. A friend had his O2 concentration set to 98% by the rock of the boat! He noticed around 60 feet... :D

I have the Uwatec Aladin Pro Ultra wrist. I'm trying to get another as a backup, but everyone that has one WON"T SELL!! (I know why). So, I am looking at the Uwatec Aladin Smart Z and the Uwatec Aladen Smart Tec. For a hundred bucks, the Tec monitors more than one tank. Sorry, don't care, not worth the extra tank.

DO go for a nitrox version . . . you'll never regret it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom