Valve shutdown cycle in a freakin' Bare CD4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found valve drills in a Fusion even easier than in a 7mm, and I never had trouble in a 7mm. I do have some trouble in my DR905 with a single tank, but as someone mentioned earlier, I think it's my undies. I assume you're doing the whole chin tip-up thing and everything?

She has not given up. She's trying again with a different set of twins this weekend. She just has to make sure she can reach A set of twins before she buys her own set, and still need to do the valve drill to pass the course. I keep saying Sidemount:D As a group of instructors doing technical training while working for a dive shop we have alot of gear to play around with...get the gear right before we buy. She might try a fusion too, but doesn't want to rely on a fusion to get a pass for the course.

Chin tip up thing? You mean brushing your hand past your ear with your head tilted back?

Ps. if you say "a Fusion" you are refering to a trilaminate suit right?

Ps. if you say "a Fusion" you are refering to a trilaminate suit right?

Whites Fusion drysuit. It is a specific model that came out about 3 or 4 years ago. It is very very flexible. It's a big human shaped bag with a stretchy suit Velcro'd over it to keep it streamlined. Neat concept.

I think in Europe the Fusion is sold by ScubaPro.

It is not a trilam, at least not in the typical way as far as I can tell.

SUCCESS!!! :bounce3:

I placed my tank higher than ever before, and was finally able to do a valve-shutdown cycle! :D

Because I use a (longer) 12L/300bar steel tank, it does not even look that weird because the tank is still centered on my back. I may even grow a liking to the tank at this height...

I still have to push the tank up with my left hand and have a bit more air in my dry suit, but I do not have to be inverted to have the tank move up. I can do the shutdown cycle while being horizontal.

Thanks for your advice & for turning me into a happy intentional 'out-of-air-diver'! :wink:

Marcel

I struggled hard with single tank valve drills in my original dry suit.
Putting as much gas in the suit as you can manage helps, but be careful that you don't dump it when using your arms, because then you have buoyancy issues.
Reaching around behind you with the left hand and pushing the tank up can also help. What solved the problem was having my buddy watch me, and we kept moving the tank up in the cambands until I could reach it. It ended up a great deal higher than I had had it.

This was great advice, thanks. My tank ended up a lot higher than I ever expected too! But.... I DID IT! :D
Thank you very much!

Marcel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom