Valves "full open" or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious... when your student goes to jump off the back of the boat and you're checking their valve and it doesn't turn, how do you know for certain that it isn't jammed shut, rather than open all the way?
I just wiggle the valve- open fully (shouldn't move), close slightly, and then re-open fully? In theory, it should move in one direction, but not the other. This tells me the valve is not stuck and that I turned it to the full on position.

If the valve stops in a partially open/partially closed position then neither of the procedures (1/4 turn or fully open) will resolve this unless you start counting the turns, rebuild the valve, or muscle it one way or the other.

I'm honestly not sure. You seem to have contradicted yourself. :D

You started out by saying that it's either open or closed. Then you responded to TS&M's post by saying you close slightly. Obviously, I like the second answer better than the first. :crafty:

To me, that's fully open (none of this 1/2 turn stuff). As many, I back it off ever so slightly. For the reasons you then later stated.

The quarter down back thing is old school from a time of unreliable valves that got stuck open. There is no standard for PADI or SSI (or anyone else is my guess) to teach it this way. It's just another one of those things that gets mindlessly passed down through the ages.

I learned to dive in the early 1970's and I remember my YMCA instructor telling us to turn the valve on and then back a 1/4 turn. The book we used, "The New Science of Sikn and Scuba Diving," did not say anything on the subject. I checked an old PADI book, "The PADI Dive Manual" copyrighted 1978, and it did say to turn the valve back 1/2 turn. Current PADI texts do not include this instruction.

........... :popcorn:

Why the popcorn? Wow...its such a conversational topic. LOL

Fully open to answer the question.

What does GUE/DIR teach?

My instructor was in the "it's either open or closed" camp, but I didn't ask if that was because it was "official" GUE doctrine.

I don't know who the behemoths are who keep jamming their valves open, but I picture am picturing guys with forarms the size of my thigh (like that stallone arm-wrestling movie) :)
I just open them slowly until they are open all the way. Under water I am usually only using 2 fingers to turn the valve, no chance of jamming them open or closed that way.

Why the popcorn? Wow...its such a conversational topic. LOL

Fully open to answer the question.

98% of everything now days on SB is worth popcorn! :eyebrow:

98% of everything now days on SB is worth popcorn! :eyebrow:

Really? I have found it quite boring lately.

I was taught 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock so that's a 1/4 turn. Going the tech route however it's now open all the way with out forcing it. Turn gently until it stops. It's what I 'll be teaching my students. That said I always thought it was one of those things you just heard about. But I actually saw a DM turn off a persons air when he could not get the valve to move when he checked it before the guy went in the water. Lots of people on the boat he was busy and just made a mistake. Luckily the guy's buddy caught it. I always tell the DM my air is on and don't touch my gear. Never an issue. I'll be sure to add this to my lectures on setting up gear and let the individual decide. But definitely no more than 1/4 turn and an 1/8 would be cool as well, say 12 to between 1 and 2.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom