Vancouver Island Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoakedIontra,

In the 3 minutes I spent looking I discovered that the outflows are actually at 60+ meters deep, and are located more than 1000 meters off shore.

asmackofjellyfish

which puts the closest one a bit more than 3 kilometres away.

A few of us are getting together at Singing Sands near Comox tonight for a shore dive around 5:30pm. I have attached a map...just drive to the end of Singing Sands Road...you wont miss it.

singing sands BC - Google Maps

U/O

I will see what I can do...:D

Singing Sands

The Singing Sands wreck is a great site to dive and is basically our version of a "quarry dive" It's Just not too far my house and serves as a great after work or weekday evening dive. Here’s some point form info about the site and the wreck

-There’s ample parking just at the end of the road and lots of open area to gear up. The walk down to the water isnt very far. I do it in my double 130s and survive. You might run into some crazy locals that think they own the beach, but they just talk and tell you stories about their aspirations they once had of trying scuba diving

-This wreck can be done on either low or high tide. At high tide, there’s less of a walk to the water, but the depth of the wreck can reach 80’ or just over versus 70ish on low tide. Once in a while there’s abit of a ripping surface current running parallel with the shore, but dissipates soon as you get down below 10’. Don’t be too intimidated by waves, I’ve dove this wreck with the waves crashing onto the road and it was fine below 10’.

-Best time of year to dive this wreck is the winter. The vis is almost always in the 50-75’+ range and you don’t have to contend with locals using the beach or fishermen casting their lines from the shore.

-If you do try this site and there’s fisherman there, speak kindly to one of them and explain to them where you diving and how far out you’ll be going. In this situation, it’s a good idea to run a safety sausage on your way back just so they can avoid you for the time being. The fisherman are usually pretty nice, but some local divers in the past basically barged in, took over the beach and pushed everyone aside.

-The Powell River ferry dock is just down the road. The ferry itself is pretty huge and passed hundreds and hundreds of meters from wreck. It may look close when you see it depart while on land, but the it doesn’t even come close to the site. However, the noise of the ship while underwater can be abit intimidating at times, especially at night, in low visibility, current and you cant “find” the wreck.

-This is a great site to do night dives on. There’s usually more life on the wreck and with great vis the site can be good place to build up your night diving confidence.

-To find the wreck, follow a heading of 360 in line with the Singing Sands St road. If you hit more than 80 feet deep you probably missed the wreck. At one time there were lines that ran to the wreck, but they have since disappeared. Many local divers couldn’t even find the wreck without the help of the line. Recently a thick white line was run from the wreck making it almost impossible to miss. Just find the line and you’ll be ok.

-I’m guessing the wreck is about 200? feet offshore. The swim out there only takes a couple of minuits on the gradually sloping sandy bottom.

-The sailboat itself went down in the mid to late 90s. It has a concrete hull and is about 30 feet in length. It lays on its side parallel to shore. The boat is almost entirely open with no deck anymore. There’s not a lot inside except for a toilet and some other structural odds and ends. The prop is still attached and still turns. Theres a large anchor near the wreck, but it’s obviously from a much larger boat. Strangely enough, a sandy wall is building near the open end of the wreck and resembles a wave ready to engulf the boat.

-The wreck is almost entirely covered in life with giant plumose anemones and other small sea creatures. An octopus once lived under the wreck and is sometimes spotted. Large lingcod make the wreck their home and have seen them grow to almost 6 feet long. There lots of rockfish and hermit crabs too see as well. I’ve personally seen sealions, squid, ratfish, sculpins, rock sole, shaggy mouse nudibranch, and the list goes on. Even after several dives here over the last few years, I still see new creatures a notice subtle changes in and around the wreck.

-This wreck is diviable for the first time without a “guide” but to avoid disappointment, have someone show you the wreck at least once. This is our only real dive in the Courtenay area. Please don’t leave a bad impression with the locals and clean up after yourself. I havent had any troubles there and usually leave my car unlocked.

Last edited:
Myself and some friends will be doing this dive on March 6th, thanks for all the usefull info eliminator.

Thanks...Mr.Jones

You did a hell of a lot better then I would have. :D

Could you tell me where the shore diving spots are around Port Alberni please?

Back
Top Bottom