Venting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobby F:
Maybe I am missing something here but why not go with the truth. You are working out some new gear issues for an upcoming class and want to concentrate on yourself and your gear. You would not be a good buddy at this time and that is why you came to the pool to work these things out before going to the open water.

Bobby
because the truth is to easy

Brian1968:
I don't know whether to be p!##d of or pee myself laughing. I'm leaning towards the latter.

There I am in the pool this afternoon (getting used to my BP/W since I will be doing my Rescue course next week in it), all on my lonesome, except for a couple of other divers also there on their own as far as I know (one certainly is) and a small group playing underwater hockey. And of course the requisite lifeguards are there as well.

All too soon the hour is up and as I'm getting out of the pool when the hockey "coach" introduces himself and asks if I go there often. "Now and again" is my response. That's not the pool I usually go to.

He points to one of the other divers and says "That's so-n-so" (hi howareya). Then "I'd like to see you guys buddy up and keep an eye on each other's air. Or keep an eye on each other".

Does he dive? Beats me.
Does he have anything to do with the rules of the pool? Nope. The lifeguards let us do as we see fit.
Did I stand there with "Excuse me?" written all over my face?
Damn right I did.

Whew....I feel better now.

These types of situatiuons can always be difficult to handle tactfully. The best route is to take the high road. Chances are he won't be around next time anyways.

Being an avid solo diver I most often wear totally black or very subdued colors. Just for the simple fact that I don't want all of these nosey busy bodies coming in and telling me how unsafe I am being. Every single time that I have been harrassed by someone, runover by a jetski and or boat has been when I was just minding my own business trying to go do a peaceful sulf sufficient dive. I now teach all of my OW students that if they are buddy diving to depend on their buddy for safety, they are an accident waiting to happen, a self sufficent solo diver is way more safe than your typical recreational buddy team. I personally would have asked the coach, "Oh, did he run out of air last time he was here??????" With a really concerned look on my face!

Brian1968:
I don't know whether to be p!##d of or pee myself laughing. I'm leaning towards the latter.

There I am in the pool this afternoon (getting used to my BP/W since I will be doing my Rescue course next week in it), all on my lonesome, except for a couple of other divers also there on their own as far as I know (one certainly is) and a small group playing underwater hockey. And of course the requisite lifeguards are there as well.

All too soon the hour is up and as I'm getting out of the pool when the hockey "coach" introduces himself and asks if I go there often. "Now and again" is my response. That's not the pool I usually go to.

He points to one of the other divers and says "That's so-n-so" (hi howareya). Then "I'd like to see you guys buddy up and keep an eye on each other's air. Or keep an eye on each other".

Does he dive? Beats me.
Does he have anything to do with the rules of the pool? Nope. The lifeguards let us do as we see fit.
Did I stand there with "Excuse me?" written all over my face?
Damn right I did.

Whew....I feel better now.

hi
I think he asked you to buddy up because he had to make a good imperssion to the people that may be watching in the wings.
it is a standard that they have to follow
he may not have reason to say what he did, except for a liability
issue. Some one had to rent the pool for the activity.
when he covers all his bases, If anything happens he can say; I told him so, so my hands are clean.
It's like when we use to sleep in the rear window of a car on long trips. when we were young------ try putting your kids there now days.
I would not take it personal!
hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom