Venting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian1968

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I don't know whether to be p!##d of or pee myself laughing. I'm leaning towards the latter.

There I am in the pool this afternoon (getting used to my BP/W since I will be doing my Rescue course next week in it), all on my lonesome, except for a couple of other divers also there on their own as far as I know (one certainly is) and a small group playing underwater hockey. And of course the requisite lifeguards are there as well.

All too soon the hour is up and as I'm getting out of the pool when the hockey "coach" introduces himself and asks if I go there often. "Now and again" is my response. That's not the pool I usually go to.

He points to one of the other divers and says "That's so-n-so" (hi howareya). Then "I'd like to see you guys buddy up and keep an eye on each other's air. Or keep an eye on each other".

Does he dive? Beats me.
Does he have anything to do with the rules of the pool? Nope. The lifeguards let us do as we see fit.
Did I stand there with "Excuse me?" written all over my face?
Damn right I did.

Whew....I feel better now.

What kind of pool is it? Do they actually have a designated scuba practice time?

You could tell him to mind his buisness, that your an adult and can decide for yourself what is appropriate. BUT, I probably would have just stood there looking dumb as well. Of course, I would not alter my behavoir to suit the "coach" either and next time I would make sure he understood but thank him for his concern.
You know, he might have thought you two guys would have similar interest and maybe he was just attempting to facilitate a new friendship more than anything. It is always better to be nice but going postal is always an option.
Snorkel police
pool police
buddy police
Police State
What is wrong with the world today is that there seems to always be someone minding another persons buisness.
I heard on the public radio, an interview with a lady Coast Guard official. Post 911 (like several years post), during the course of the interview she noted that the public should report all suspicious activity (duh) BUT her example was scuba divers wearing black gear!!!!!!!! Can you believe this, scuba divers wearing black gear are suspicious!!!!! She is probably like from Iowa and has never seen a diver. To me what is suspicious is boat loads of armed people, armed aircraft, armed police roaming all over the place now asking me what I am doing and why I am doing it. Never mind my rant. N

Nemrod:
What kind of pool is it? Do they actually have a designated scuba practice time?

You know, he might have thought you two guys would have similar interest and maybe he was just attempting to facilitate a new friendship more than anything. It is always better to be nice but going postal is always an option. N

Actually I hadn't given it any thought but you may be right in that he was just trying to "facillitate a new friendship". Wrong approach though if that was the case. Whatever his motives it will keep me amused for what is left of today LOL. If he brings it up again some other time though I'm going to go with the "thanks for the concern but.....(it's only 17 feet deep and it would take me hours to run out of air, etc, etc). Happily I'm not the "postal" type.

The pool is the biggest of the city rec. dept. pools and does actually have "Skin and Scuba" time every Sunday afternoon. The group that I normally dive with usually uses another city run pool on Friday nights and we have the place all to ourselves.

I think these types of situations need to be dealt with a great deal of tact. I you or I were to rightly blow this guy off and tell him to mind his own business (arogant diver, I'll show him) I'm sure he could easily raise enough stink so that the pool regulations would be changed for everyone. Don't underestimate the power of a civilian activist.

Nemrod:
BUT her example was scuba divers wearing black gear!!!!!!!! !!!!! She is probably like from Iowa and has never seen a diver.

Hang on now...I'm from Iowa AND I wear black gear :eyebrow: - just coz we grew up landlocked doesn't mean we're totally clueless :wink:

Brian1968:
Does he dive? Beats me.

Maybe he did at one time and had a bad experience and this was his way of being concerned for you and the other guy.

Alcina, I think you are a suspicious person, I am reporting you immediantly to the --wait--who do I report you to? LOL, hey, take it easy, my post was in jest in part, especially the "postal" part. It is always best to be nice even when it causes inconvenience but of course in every life there is a time to just say NO! The older I have gotten the more practiced I have become at saying NO! "Coach" type people sometimes need to hear it more often--lol. N

Maybe I am missing something here but why not go with the truth. You are working out some new gear issues for an upcoming class and want to concentrate on yourself and your gear. You would not be a good buddy at this time and that is why you came to the pool to work these things out before going to the open water.

Bobby

Bobby F:
Maybe I am missing something here but why not go with the truth. You are working out some new gear issues for an upcoming class and want to concentrate on yourself and your gear. You would not be a good buddy at this time and that is why you came to the pool to work these things out before going to the open water.

Bobby

I really like that answer. I too usually use solo time in a controlled area to workout a new toy or change of configuration or to just get back in the groove after a long layoff; maybe also run through a few basic skills. Fortunately in Hawaii, there's still a culture of respect for self-sufficiency among watermen (divers, surfers, boaters, kayakers, fishermen, etc.) and it's rare for someone to butt in unless it's obvious that you're TSTL (Too Stupid To Live). In fact, while plodding down the beach alone, it's common for people to come up and ask what I'm diving for; i.e. they want to know if I'm going for lobster or octopus or some such -- it's like no big deal to see a guy going in alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom