Very clever marketing :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reg Braithwaite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was whiling away a long Winter afternoon reading when I noticed that DiveRiteExpress sells both a Nitek Duo Dive Computer AND a Duo Digital Gauge:

NiTek and VR3 Dive Computers and Accessories

Of course, they are the exact same thing, a dive computer with a gauge mode for those who eschew the computer's model. They have two different web pages for marketing the Duo, and the Gauge version of the page has a picture of the optional bungee mount right up front.

It's still $150 more than a plain gauge in my LDS, but I have to admit they know how to flog it :rofl3:

While I'm here, just wanted to ask if anyone has thoughts about the Nitek Duo as a gauge only?

I don't know much about the Nitek, but the Aladin Tec 2g has gauge mode and a resettable stopwatch and resettable depth averaging, and LeisurePro is selling it right now for $374. I think the display may be somewhat smaller than the Nitek, just going from the ad photo. The Aladin also has a DSS boot available for it. The logging software for the Aladin is really nice, or at least I think so.

The Duo has a really confusing display in computer mode. I'm not sure about guage mode.
Tom

What is your specific concern?

The Duo has a really confusing display in computer mode. I'm not sure about guage mode.
Tom

I think because, with the Uwatec gauge not available, he's looking for something else he can use in gauge mode.

I don't know much about the Nitek, but the Aladin Tec 2g has gauge mode and a resettable stopwatch and resettable depth averaging, and LeisurePro is selling it right now for $374. I think the display may be somewhat smaller than the Nitek, just going from the ad photo. The Aladin also has a DSS boot available for it. The logging software for the Aladin is really nice, or at least I think so.

Sorry, but what is a "DSS boot"?

Hmmmm...nope. That's not it.

Actually, that is iexactly what I am looking for, although if a question about DIR-appropriate equipment does not belong in the DIR forum, I have no objection to a moderator moving it to a more appropriate forum.

I was looking for the fully DIR answer to the question: "Is this an appropriate gauge? If not, what is better?" I tried to dress it up a little with some observational humour, which may have obscured the intent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom