VHF radio or cell phone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, thanks to all of you for the great advice! I will start shopping for a VHF radio. I already have a GPS (Garmin GPSMap 196). I bought the marine mount so it will be securely mounted. It's not waterproof so I'll need to find a way to protect it from the spray. I have a Garmin Fishfinder 250 on order so Im covered there. I'm sure we'll have two or three cell phones on every dive since everybody always carries them.

Any recommendations for a good value handheld or hard wired VHF radio?

BIGSAGE136:

Nice radio but I already have a GPS. I usually buy high end gear but in this case the RIB is an experiment. I'm not sure how often I'll use it so I want to keep my initial costs down. I want a decent VHF radio (not a piece of junk) but not a high end model. Just a good value on a decent radio.

I always used Standard VHFs either handheld or wired-in commercially on my own vessels. That said though, if you have the extra funds, pop for an ICOM.

I'd try to get one of the newer DSC VHF console mount radios. They're splash resistant but also automatically transmit your location when you key up and are mounted securely by the helm. That will be an advantage if you have to drive and talk at the same time in the event of an emergency, rather than having a loose radio tying one hand up or getting dropped, etc. I'd also recommend the remote speaker option, they're loud and can be mounted right in front of you.

I've needed both cell and VHF offshore before in emergencies.

Forgive us pampered east coast boaters who assume Sea Tow is always immediately available and only a few minutes away. When I was running my Bombard out of Newport years ago, good samaritans and the Coasties were your only hope. But if things have changed or you're in an area with that service, I'd highly recommend a membership.

Good diving,

Don

I'm leaning towards a console mount now. I think that will be easier with a RIB. But, it looks like the console mount radios don't come with antennas. I started looking at antennas...5/8 wave, 1/4 wave ???? Huh???

Does anybody know what type of antenna I'd need for a 16' RIB with a console mount VHF?

Also, I'm thinking about powering the VHF and fishfinder from a seperate battery (maybe a motorcycle battery). Any thoughts on that?

I don't think an outboard will charge the primary battery while under way (unlike an I/O). Is that true?

The choice of antenna depends on several factors including the boat. In your case it is a RIB aka power boat that is generally upright as opposed to a sailboat that spends a lot of time healed over. The means that you can use a high gain antenna.

The problems with the higher gain antennas for your boat are going to be the physical size and cost. The higher the gain the taller the antenna, how tall can you stand? The more gain the higher the price, your pick. Most of the time I use a 6 db antenna on powerboats.

As to charging, it depends on the OB. Most modern OBs with electric start will charge their battery. Larger OBs have larger alternators to charge house batteries also. Using separate batteries for starting and radios, depthsounders etc is always a good idea. You don't want a single failure to take out both your ability to start the engine and to radio for help.

I didn't realize outboard motors charged the starting battery. Shows you how ignorant I am right now. My motor is a 1995 Tohatsu 50HP w/electric start and power trim. I'll have to check to see if it has an alternator. I'll buy a second smaller battery for the fishfinder/radio.

Will a small motorcycle battery work for a fishfinder and console VHF radio?

I think I'll mount the antenna on the transom. Maybe a 6' antenna? I'll try to find some type of quick release so I can remove it when trailering the boat.

I just did a quick look and it seems that the charging circuit is usually an option on Tohatsu.

bertschb:
I didn't realize outboard motors charged the starting battery. Shows you how ignorant I am right now. My motor is a 1995 Tohatsu 50HP w/electric start and power trim. I'll have to check to see if it has an alternator. I'll buy a second smaller battery for the fishfinder/radio.

Will a small motorcycle battery work for a fishfinder and console VHF radio?

I think I'll mount the antenna on the transom. Maybe a 6' antenna? I'll try to find some type of quick release so I can remove it when trailering the boat.

A racheting fold down mount in a common antenna mount. You can get them to mount on a flat surface or rail. I always wanted to build a tube "radar arch" on the transom of my inflatable to hold all the lights, electronics, etc. Look up your motor or check with a dealer, there should be a charging circuit as is is equipped.

Check out some of these layouts:http://www.inflatable-boats-kayaks-accessories.com/library.html

Don

The better DSC console mount radios aren't just splash-proof, they are submersible, 3',
30 minutes, I wouldn't put electronics that weren't submersible on a small boat.

I'd go with a single battery. VHF, GPS, fishfinder aren't going to pull more than an amp
except when the VHF is transmitting (then about 6 amps). Does your Tohatsu have a
backup pull start?

I've never seen an electric start outboard that didn't have an alternator. I have seen
pull start outboards with alternators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom