Victims' Names in Accidents forum a problem; "No Condolences" rule is Not Working

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What if we made the "Accidents & Incidents" thread a sub-forum that you "opt into," like "The Pub" is a subforum of "Surface Interval?"
Why? It's diving related.

As this is the information age things are easier to find than ever before. Accidents and deaths will be discussed either here or in other forums. As it was said before, names come out in the news and other places. Though I agree unfeeling and downright crass statements have no place here. Hard statements.........ie.........he violated a major rule and this is exactly what caused his death............are what they are.

The discussions here, after an accident or death, have really caused a lot of thought and is good for those that are new, and those, of us, that have been around for a while, as we can become complacent. It is true that we hardly ever get the whole story, but the discussions it brings re-affirms the idea that education works and that we are able to visualize possibilities and ways to plan for them.

I was always told to assume makes an a** out of u and me..............that is crap. We assume every day based on the information at hand. It is a very cliche' statement, but mostly worthless. When we make quality assumptions based on information at hand we learn and often find a solid outcome to crimes, problems, and other things unanswered.

Even though it is not a perfect world the discussions here are helpful as new divers ask questions and learn, older divers chime in based on experience, and now and then, most of us learn something we were not aware of before. This can re-introduce us to things we have been taught but may have forgotten and in turm this makes all of us safer while underwater. After all, isn't that the goal of this forum?

The bottom line is you can only make the rules and do your best to enforce them. Friends and family WILL eventually find the information that is posted if they are searching. This will happen no matter where it is posted. If they are in search of something, then they will find it. Persistance pays.

As for the condolences.....there is a typical routine. The accident is posted with almost no information, the people post condolences then as more information comes out (factual or not it does not matter) people stop posting condolences and then start debating the accident and causes etc.. Then, someone claims to have known the person and everybody goes back to adding condolences but ususally as part of another post where they are askign something or sharing something.

This is the way I see it. I do not personally believe that Moderating the area of the board will add any value what-so-ever because you are then relying on a group of people to approve posts based on their interperetation of not only the rules but also their interpretation of what is trying to be shared/conveyed in the post. We all know that the posters here are worldwide and that communication is often less than 100% clear, so how much would be lost to interpretation.

I say keep it the way it is and if someone steps out of line then act on it. I think the Staff are doing as good a job as can be expected considering that the topics and threads are almost always passionate for someone involved.

Rather than trying to make the forum conform to each and everyone's individual idea of what it should be, why not just let it remain a place to discuss incidents and accidents ... and if that doesn't sit well with a particular member, then that member can choose not to go there.

Seems to me that in its current form it does serve a useful purpose to some members ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

and if that doesn't sit well with a particular member, then that member can choose not to go there.

:thumb:

To paraphrase comedian Ron White: [People] have the right to remain silent, [they] just don't have the ability!

Why? It's diving related.

I thought this might make the analysis threads less easy to "stumble upon" by family members. Not sure it would accomplish that, though.

Another possibility would be to make the A & I a "moderated" forum where any responses require approval before they post, but then we'd have to triple our mod staff. :)

If the moderators only moved the condolence portion of posts to the proper forum, it shouldn't require too much extra man(woman) power :) Beyond that, I don't see that extra moderating is necessary. Discussion driven by facts, speculation, and "what ifs", all contribute to the learning process.

I thought this might make the analysis threads less easy to "stumble upon" by family members. Not sure it would accomplish that, though.
It would also make ScubaBoard less easy to stumble upon by others as well. I appreciate the sentiment, but this is a vital topic for Scuba Diving.

Well you can count on condolences being posted, mine including maybe. Not possible, but it'd be nice if a corresponding Passing thread was opened automatically with any death A&I thread and the link posted in post #1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom