Video: Diving Too Deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked at this the other day. I don't remember where I found the site, but I was amazed at the risks these guys take knowing that ultimately they will take a DCS hit and become crippled. Unfortunely, this is probably the only way these men can support their families.

Sickening, I thnk I'll just stick to local, trap caught lobster, and do without when they're not in season.

Great video documenting this situation. No representation for workers (they are disposable), maximize profits - looks like where the US is going as we become "Globally competitive" (Actually or current administration said we needed "globally competitive wages").

Truely tragic, when application of known procedures could prevent these injuries.

This is not driven by demand for Lobster in the US, but by a government that has no concern for their people and immoral company leadership.

This is not driven by demand for Lobster in the US, but by a government that has no concern for their people and immoral company leadership.
One might argue that if not for US demand for the bugs, it wouldn't be happening - but I think you are right. Even without our demand, even without any demand, the villagers would not be any better off - just hungrier and neglected in other ways.

At least Belize limits harvest to free-diving so if the divers don't drown, they're less likely to get bent - scuba supported poachers notwithstanding. Even Cozumel has their black coral tree poachers going to chambers there.

...do we really want to support the depletion of sea life (lobsters, etc.) ? by 'donating' $/gear/training to those pillaging the sea ? ....what next, maybe pass the hat and do a fund raiser to buy baseball bats for baby harp seal fur hunters ?

Naw.... I wouldn't do that. The seal hunters need a much smaller bat. More like a billy club.

Wow, doesn't look like they've got much in the way of occupation health and safety legislation up there! I guess also little fisheries management?

The populance is earning a living. Good on them. Are they taking too many risks?...Hell ya. Do they know any better?...Don't seem so! Good ol fashioned ignorance seems to be the key here. Great business. Not organized at all. So who should "educate" the workers/divers? They (the bugs) all funnel threw the broker/s. That is where the $$$ is made. Brokers no doubt get them diving equippment needed in the first place, they need bugs! The Brokers know the villages and the people. They need to take the action needed. Love that "fat cat" sitting behind his desk....."yes we have a problem, and education would be best" how about offering a 2 week all inclusive stay in a village to any scuba instuctor willing to go? Would any one go? Probably...just for the adventure...no cost. Damn I'm waking up now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom