Video Light for Cave Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have a real old GoPro camera (Hero 3) that I sometimes use in the caves. I am not looking to win a Pulitzer but want to be able to shoot videos of cave students installing jumps, running reels, frog-kicking etc. I currently use the camera out in open water and it works well for what I want to do.

This is an example out in Open water.

This is another example in the cave.

Both of these videos were done with the Hero3 & a very small video light I have.

I'm looking for experienced advice as to a light that may work for me.

Looks like you need something that is more diffused and brighter. I've had good luck with light and motion Sola video lights. Looks like they only have two options right now, either would work for what you want. Depending on your current dive lights, you could also give one of the Dive Rite light diffusers a try. They have two sizes for back up and primary lights, but don't say what the actual measurement is.

you could also give one of the Dive Rite light diffusers a try
Thanks....I will contact Dive-Rite today.

What is your budget??

Based on this get whatever you can that has the most lums. You can never have too much light

Check out Big Blue, they make some very nice video lights. But you get what you pay for, as mentioned above the more lumen you can get the better. A very good friend took this photo of me and my dive buddy.

We were using two Big Blue CB30000. This is not photoshopped perfect reflection on the top no venting allowed for this dive LOL. If I remember correctly this is about 1.5-2hr. (maybe 30min on the trigger) into Nohoch were you getting into the huge area with all the crazy roots.
1709889453033.png

What is your budget??
Its more about being able to carry it in the cave as a limited distraction for me. As @sea_ledford suggested I contacted Dive-Rite and will get the diffusers today and try them out.

I'd be willing to drop a couple of hundred bucks if it was small enough to be manageable.

That's great! So rare that a $20 piece of plastic solves problems in diving!

Anyone know what diameter light head the Dive Rite defusers fit?
Also has anyone put them on a flip open scope cap?

Check out Big Blue, they make some very nice video lights. But you get what you pay for, as mentioned above the more lumen you can get the better. A very good friend took this photo of me and my dive buddy.
I'm not able to access https://wetestlights.com/result.php?query=Dive at this moment, but Big Blues have a rather sharp slope in light output. This is true of most lights.

I wound up with 2 Kraken Hydra 4000s as constant output is important for me (underwater archaeological documenting). I would think Jim would value the same thing. This does come at a cost of burn time. But maybe not.

Anyone have a GoPro Hero3? if so what can I do with the "wireless" function"??

I *THINK* the camera is so old that it can't connect to GoPro App....anyone?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom