Video of fellow SB member diving his new doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sabbath999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Gbray was at the site the other day with his new doubles that he is working on getting the trim right on, and I had one of my video cameras there, so I shot a bit of video of him so he could look at it and see how his trim was doing.

He is still working on getting it all set up.

Here's a link to his original thread about a month ago on his first dive with the doubles: First Dive With Doubles

Here's the short vid I shot (and yes, I did help the diver sitting on the dock tighten down his tank cam strap before I splashed).

Looks pretty good to me ... way better than I did when I was new to dubs.

He needs to put a clip on that light, though ... that would bug me no end if I was diving with him ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks sabbath for the video. It sure is strange seeing myself under water. I see I have a few things to work on but oddly enough not exactly the things I imagined before seeing the video.

I tend to agree with you about the light NWgratefulldiver. Funny thing is I have clipped it off like that for a while now and never realized how badly it dangled.

I am open to suggestions if any one else would like to offer their opinion. Just be gentle so my feelings don't get hurt (oh never mind, I forgot, I don't have feelings any more).

Shiny!

Speaking of things that would bug me, I'd recommend putting that console on a shorter hose (I imagine it used to be routed from the middle rather than the side, but even then it looks huge).

You didn't slow down/stop enough in the video for me to get a good feel for your trim, but it doesn't look too bad.

Keep diving them!

Attachments

• temp1.jpg
    temp1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 57
I am open to suggestions if any one else would like to offer their opinion. Just be gentle so my feelings don't get hurt (oh never mind, I forgot, I don't have feelings any more).

I'll still follow the s**t sandwich approach for feedback....

I agree with Bob, you actually look pretty good in terms of trim and control for someone on their first few dives in doubles. (bread)

I think your hoses need to be looked at, though - not just the console, but the way they are routed generally. It's difficult to tell from the video, but they look like they could be tidied up in terms of lengths and what hose is routed where? Maybe it's just the long hose needs a hitch point to stop it looping up around your head? (s**t)

Your fin kicks look nice and controlled, good job! (bread)

What delicious color tanks, so season-appropriate too! I want! I never tried 72s as doubles but looking good!

Just a few comments :

Your trim looks pretty good in the water, especially for someone enjoying their first dive in doubles!!

I too am not sure about the hose routing. There is a loop of hose above your head. Not sure where it is coming from. I would imagine from your long hose. I would remove the slack in the hose so that it does not get caught on anything above you.

It looks as if your long hose is on your left post. I would consider moving it to your right if it is.

Secure the light that is dangling beneath you. If it hits anything it might break the bulb.

Slow down your breathing. Your exhaust bubbles are coming too fast.

Otherwise...Welcome to the world of doubles!! Enjoy.

Slow down your breathing. Your exhaust bubbles are coming too fast.

Otherwise...Welcome to the world of doubles!! Enjoy.

He doesn't normally breath that fast... we were just doing this as a "quick" sort of a thing in water that is only about 10 feet deep not far from the dock because any deeper and it was too hard to get enough light to make a good video in the muck... and we had a couple of noob's sitting on the dock waiting for us to get done so we could buddy up with them for the second dive of the day.

He doesn't normally breath that fast... we were just doing this as a "quick" sort of a thing in water that is only about 10 feet deep not far from the dock because any deeper and it was too hard to get enough light to make a good video in the muck... and we had a couple of noob's sitting on the dock waiting for us to get done so we could buddy up with them for the second dive of the day.

I hear you. I have no complaints about his diving. Just making a comment or two. You guys did a great job. Since I an trying to get into u/w videography I can appreciate the challenge of the person in front of and behind the camera. I am trying to add my first video to my profile. All criticism is welcome :)

Thanks for the input and support. I did notice the bubbles myself and wondered if I always breathed that heavy. THinking back though I am very comfortable in my al80 and recently got 89 minutes out of one tank at 40feet so I don't think that is real bad. I think you are right SABBATH, all the hustle anjd bustle as well as the noobs had me breathing a little heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom