Video on a budget - Brand vs specs: Old reliable GoPro tech or new knock-off tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katie L

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there - I am interested in getting an action cam for an upcoming trip to Thailand, but I would like to spend around $200 or less on the whole set up, if at all possible (otherwise it eats into my new mask & snorkel budget). I am not opposed to old tech (4K seems excessive) and had my eye on a used Hero 4 Silver or Hero 3+ Black (looking on ebay and Craigslist), but considering the cost of accessories and extra batteries, a Hero 3 is probably closer to my budget.

But for the same cost or less, I can get a brand new GoPro clone (SJ Cam 4000, 5000x, or 6 Legend, or a Yi camera, for example) with much better specs than the Hero 3. Since we all know you get what you pay for, I can't decide if it's better to get an older version of a reliable brand's product, or more technology at a higher risk.

The consensus of the internet seems to be divided between brand loyalty and spec-focused.

I've seen some comparison videos, but rarely do reviewers of Chinese gopro clones discuss scuba-specific quality issues, like low light, color and contrast underwater, or availability of filters.

On one hand, action cam tech is evolving very quickly, so a newer camera could potentially perform much much better than one from just 3-4 years ago. Better image stabilization and low light capabilities out of the box in new cameras would go very far. On the other hand, people were still shooting great video 4 years ago with what is now an "old" camera, and specs don't mean much if the image quality isn't there, the device isn't reliable, or I don't expect to use all of the high end features.

Since I'm still a beginner diver, I want to keep it pretty simple so I don't get distracted. I don't want to compromise my dive skills and safety. I'll start with maybe strapping it to my BCD in the beginning, and then switch to a simple hand-held tray or extendable pole/handle after a few dives. A red filter or filter system seems worth it to have also. So it wouldn't be wise to buy something that requires an overly elaborate rig.

I'll have a DSLR for some scenic dryland photography, but since I'm traveling by myself, I thought that a GoPro would be a fun way to make sure I'm actually IN my photos and encourage me to take some fun spontaneous video clips in and out of water. But beyond that, I probably won't use it on a regular basis at home.

What do you think? Is the GoPro worthy of the brand reputation and overall support available? Are the new bells and whistles on the newer cameras even worthy of the hype? What would be best for a bare bones setup?

Last edited:
1. You don't need an expensive mask and snorkel. If you have a snorkel already, it's probably good enough and quite likely way overkill. If you aren't snorkeling regularly, there isn't any reason to have anything expensive.
Masks are overpriced. If you are diving in sunny conditions, then I recommend this one. It's $30, and is just as nice as $150 Atomics I have seen/dove/owned. Would literally not recommend anyone get anything other than that unless it doesn't fit them if they have a very weirdly shaped face. My parents use the ARC and since I teach and do most of my diving in caves, I have the clear glass one. My snorkel btw is a simple J-snorkel from the 80's that is still just fine for freediving and taking with me if I need it at the surface.
DGX Anti-Reflective Mask

Regarding the gopro. I'm a fan of my 4 silver. It has the screen on the back which is great and with Wasabi around, spare batteries are cheap. I have heard good things about the knockoffs and you may find some experience on here for them.

1. You don't need an expensive mask and snorkel. If you have a snorkel already, it's probably good enough and quite likely way overkill. If you aren't snorkeling regularly, there isn't any reason to have anything expensive.

Good points to remember. Even $50 is something to consider on a backpacker budget, but I'm due for a entry level set of my own. When I was younger or traveling with the family, I always just grabbed one from the family stash, whatever came from the sporting goods store. So I'm looking forward to a modest upgrade!

Regarding the gopro. I'm a fan of my 4 silver. It has the screen on the back which is great and with Wasabi around, spare batteries are cheap. I have heard good things about the knockoffs and you may find some experience on here for them.
This forum has probably been the best resource I've found. There's such a wide range of uses for action cams that it can be hard to narrow it down for specific hobbies/uses.

I take the totally different route from cheap, live for the moment, mentality advocated by @tbone1004 , I go for the best quality I can afford in all equipment. I bought my Scubapro Frameless mask 17 years ago and I am still using it today without any issues. I had to replace the mask strap once about a year ago and that's it!! I have owned a dive store for 10 years and I run a dive school and I know very well that cheap stuff is just that, cheap to acquire but won't last for long. High quality, not so inexpensive to acquire, will last forever and still function as new. I have had masks from other vendors fall apart in various ways in few short years but not the Scubapro and Atomic (with an Atomic, your heirs will receive it after you pass on after many decades :) ) . My snorkel, which I use in EVERY single dive as a recreational diver, is also a high quality SP snorkel that I have had for about 8 years now. The previous high end SP snorkel I had for about 10 years before that had no issues for that many years and was "donated" to a friend of mine who needed a snorkel at that time.

Moral of the story, don't succumb to the "live for the moment and buy cheap now" since you will pay for it later. Buy quality and buy once for a very long time!!

RE MASK: Do you wear glasses. Got prescription mask after snorkeling for many years. WIshed I had done it earlier. Not all masks can be made prerscription

@BurhanMuntasser most of these masks and snorkels are made in the same factories anyway, so you aren't sacrificing quality with them. I have an Atomic ARC and as an engineer am unable to tell an appreciable difference in quality vs. the DGX Ultraview and Piranha Explorer II that I own. I can tell the difference vs. other manufacturers masks and do enough work with manufacturers in this industry and others to be able to see quality differences, but these aren't lacking. The Atomic is 8 years old, Explorer II is ~6 years old, and the DGX are new.
A new Atomic is $140, a new DGX is $30. In order for me to justify the Atomic, it has to last at least 4.5x as long, or be at least 4.5x as nice. As it is neither significantly nicer and is highly unlikely to last 5x as long, it simply doesn't represent a good value, so doesn't justify the investment.
Conversely my DSS bp/w is call it $500 vs the cheap DGX bp/w that is $300. Had to be a 1.6x improvement in either features or lifespan to warrant. The features alone justify the increased price, however the quality and ultimately lifespan will determine that the DSS is a better value than the DGX despite being almost 2x as expensive.
Regarding the snorkels, I use a 30+yr old US Divers that I inherited and haven't found one I like better. It's a simple J snorkel but has a flex hose for the bottom to make it a bit nicer to use. You can't find those anymore so I just go for cheap snorkels.

My motto on buying anything is either buy the cheapest, buy the best, and if you can't afford/justify the best, buy the best value. Things like trauma shears, spools etc fall into buy the cheapest. They're essentially disposable so I'll just buy real cheap ones and not worry about it. Things like bc's, masks, regs, I want to buy the best value. That is very rarely the most expensive, but it is almost never the cheapest. My UWLD light is not the best value, but it is the best. My UV26 dpv is not the best, but it is the best value. My $10 spools are the cheapest. The masks above are what I feel to represent the best value, they just happen to be one of the cheapest because DGX and Piranha import directly from the OEM's

I take the totally different route... I go for the best quality I can afford in all equipment.

For most of my hobbies, I try to do this with specific pieces of equipment, if it's in my reach. I'm always hunting for discounted or secondhand version of a high quality product, unless it's imperative that it's new. Then I try to replace the less important pieces with better products as I go, when I happen upon a great price. I work near the Leisure Pro store in NYC, so that seems like a good place to try some things on and find a good balance of price/quality for my purposes, and hopefully score a good price on some closeout equipment.

Most consumers are drawn (psychologically) to mid priced products because of a perceived better value (it's not the cheapest but not extravagant), so some mid-priced companies take advantage of this and skimp on quality. Knowing that, I'm fine with generic if the value is actually good, because I know I'm not paying for the brand.

@tbone1004 PLEASE, don't compare DGX or other china express stuff with Atomic! There isn't even a needle wide margin for comparison. The difference isn't only in the mask quality but also in the stability and prominence of the manufacturer itself. Just the glass used in the Atomic mask is in a different galaxy by itself let alone the rest of the mask.

For snorkels, I use them and make my students use them heavily in ALL of my recreational courses and it does make a difference between quality and no quality ones. BUT, at the end, it is a personal preference and you use what you feel comfortable with as long as you know its limits. Up until about 20 years ago, I used to be a hardcore "J" snorkel kind of a guy, I had an image I tried to live up to and protect. At some point I was convinced to give the Scubapro snorkel a try "just for kicks" and I never looked back after that. Quality and the rare instance of true innovation do make a difference for me in this case :)

Again, I take a different prospective from on the expensive, inexpensive, value line of thinking. I live in the screwed up part of the world as you know and I don't have the luxury of acquiring any type of "disposable" equipment, not even a simple u/w sheers, everything is unavailable here and I have to order it from overseas. I can't afford to replace my shears frequently, the shipping costs more than the sheers themselves (as an example). I buy best quality I can afford and buy it once. I use this line of thinking in almost all types of equipment I've owned especially in the last 10 years or so. I buy brand name and high quality and never have to worry about it later. I have saved money, time and aggravation this way. It works for me and for my students and dive buddies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom