Vimeo, YouTube or ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
SBers,

I am learning more about videos and was wondering the plus and minuses about using different host sites.

Is one better than the other? What makes one better than another? What makes a good host site?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank and happy bubbles,

~Oldbear~
:uwphotographer:

Almost like asking whether Apple is better than Microsoft!
I've seen this question asked on another board somewhere, and the reply that caught my eye was that YouTube is for showing clips of skateboarding dogs whereas Vimeo is for wannabe indie film-makers!
I'm on Vimeo, because I like the fact there are no adverts popping up on the video, and Vimeo used to have the edge in terms of quality. I think YouTube have caught up now, and I personally can't see much difference in quality. I pay about 60 dollars a year for the higher quality streaming that Vimeo "pro" offers compared with the free basic version.

Matt

As far as I can tell, Vimeo still offers better image quality than Youtube, however the free accounts are quite limited in what and how much you can upload. Unlimited number of uploads and 1080p resolution are only available to paid accounts, while on Youtube, you get that free.

Youtube has updated their image quality. I think they even support 4K video these days. Both have bandwidth issues at peak hours unless you've got an ISP with a cache server (RoadRunner caches Youtube for example).

Personally, I don't like either because of performance issues during peak hours. I haven't found a better solution yet. I usually post videos to youtube just because I find it more convenient.

I like vimeo because there is a lot of great creative videos by independent film makers. Besides being fun to watch, you can learn a lot by watching other videos whether they are underwater or not.

Depends. If you are a headmounted Gopro guy that throws the whole 45 un-edited minutes of your dive up, then Youtube.

Youtube gives free unlimited uploading basically. Run ads. And are a pain in the bodangles when it comes to copyright on music
Vimeo's free accounts are quite limited. Less intrusive adverts,and less copyright issues

Each has its merits

The reason that I prefer Vimeo is that you can embed and share videos that default to HD (with the plus account). Also, there are less issues when using copyrighted music clips. Lastly, the community is a bit more friendly and collaborative. YouTube does tend to get more views though.

Last edited:
If you want your video to get more accidental traffic, then YouTube, however, highly resent YouTube taking opportunity to slap a few advertisements on my uploads before I can submit a dispute and their assisting copyright scams like unscrupulous claiming of copyright to things like embedded sound/music in iMovie templates that clearly give rights in EULA to purchaser, and also, have had copyright claims to just about everything submitted that contained royalty free music, much of it purchased. As I said, there will be more content found by laziness on YouTube than with Vimeo.

I use and like Vimeo for the "good" stuff, no drama. I would be shamed to put skaboarding dogs on Vimeo. The only complaint for Vimeo is in the underwater group, some "advertisement" type video gets posted and some that doesn't even contain underwater frames.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom