Virginian diver dead at 190 feet - Roaring River State Park, Missouri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could be why they didn’t question a ******** team plan when Mike was the leader…IDK for sure.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I watched their report. I think that very common with new-ish diver though, unfortunately.
I thought Woody was more experienced. I wonder why he didn't say anything about the config in the video. Isn't he a tx/ccr instructor?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I watched their report. I think that very common with new-ish diver though, unfortunately.
I thought Woody was more experienced. I wonder why he didn't say anything about the config in the video. Isn't he a tx/ccr instructor?
I don’t really know what woodys qualifications or experience is.

What I do know is that nobody is infallible. If you are doing these kind of activities and haven’t had some sort of “oh crap” moment, you either haven’t done it very long, are lying to stroke your ego, or are lucky. If you have an “oh crap” moment and don’t learn from it, you are a tragedy waiting to happen.

What I do know is that nobody is infallible. If you are doing these kind of activities and haven’t had some sort of “oh crap” moment, you either haven’t done it very long, are lying to stroke your ego, or are lucky. If you have an “oh crap” moment and don’t learn from it, you are a tragedy waiting to happen.
I know, I had plenty of eff ups. Pretty much all due to doing stuff I knew I wasn't supposed to but still did, rather than because I forgot or didn't know something. I and a lot of people I knew back in the day used to do solo, single tank dives to well below 200' on air. We did know it was stupid them but still did it.
I was in my early 20 than... it wasn't the only dumb stuff I was up to at the time.

SSI's HQ is in Germany and when the US causes PADI too many issues they will move HQ.
Even if PADI went under, which I doubt, the PADI shops will switch to SSI or some other PADI like agency.
1680101673444.png

Is that from Wikipedia? It's not accurate.
SSI was founded in the States but was sold to a German or Austrian dude called Robert in the early 00 years and is run by a dude called Guido. I know them. I took a SCR Dophin class from Guido when he was already the CEO 20 years ago. Both of them were at the dive shop I used to work at all the time.
Go to the ssidive.com website scroll down and click on imprint.
The HQ has been in Bavaria, Germany for over 20 years and the company is owned by and Austrian LLC.
I'm not pulling stuff out of my a$$. Look it up.

Edit: The website is divessi.com not ssidive.com.

I’m not disputing that they met the minimum requirements to be certified by whichever agency issued their cards…I’m implying that those minimums don’t prepare you for the real world of diving

There can be huge variability in the minimum required dives.
For TDI CCR Cave, I believe you could be at 100 dives total based on the agency minimums. With GUE you'd be at 225 not including training dives and around 270 with the required training dives to be GUE CCR Cave.

How old are your decompression algorithms?

The question isn't how old your deco algorithm is, the question is how old are your computer and technique?

It might have made sense to trick your computer 21 years ago, but today we can adjust conservatism via gradient factors.

Your assumption that the victim was tricking his computer seems much less likely than the chance it was just inherent innacuracy in whatever o2 analyzer he used. 2% discrepancy is pretty close to the margin of error for analyzers and 2% is not much of an adjustment if it was done for conservatism. I assume the victim had a shearwater which means adjustable gradient factors.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Keep in mind the basic dictates of this forum - that we take a tragedy and try to learn from it by discussing possibilities.
Positions are dearly held by all. But on the thornier issues? Play the ball - not the man. Even if you really dislike his opinion.
The post above is exactly how to respond to a prickly comment in a reasoned fashion.
Please reread the Special Forum Rules before posting again.
https://scubaboard.com/community/threads/please-read-first-special-forum-rules.586662/

The problem is not knowlege the problem is people deliberately ignore stuff. Why do you think people dive deep air or not mark tanks? People get in their car drunk because they think they can still drive well enough, not because they never heard about deadly accidents or because they don't know alcohol impaires. It's an attitude issue more so than a lack of knowledge issue.
Who said it was a knowledge problem? Fixing attitude issues, or minimizing their effect, is a big part of what HF is. So you saying HF is not the answer does not really make sense if you consider this an attitude problem. You could learn more about this from his books or classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom