Virginian diver dead at 190 feet - Roaring River State Park, Missouri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Trimix was 16/40. My necklace regulator was connected to my Trimix, I mentioned in the video that had I bailed out I would've been fine because I would've bailed out to trimix. At max depth my Trimix PO2 would've been 1.1.

@lostsheep, I won't correct you, you do your thing, carry 4 tanks for a 215 ft dive if you want, if you think that makes you a safer diver then go ahead. Ultimately, like I said, I don't tell people what to do, I do what's right for me and stay away from pretending I know more than everyone else, you seem to be okay with telling others what to do so yes like you said "you do your thing"
To confirm:

You were at 228’ on air diluent, on a rebreather, in a limited vis cave, past a restriction at 160’, having intentionally hooked up air into your MAV, and having started the dive planning to inject your LP50 of 16/40 diluent into your loop by inhaling off of your necklaced reg, and then exhaling it into the loop. This was your first dive on trimix on that rebreather, in a permit only state site, and your two bottle BO hypoxic class was conducted on a different unit. You then were narked off your gourd and got extraordinarily lucky. True or false?

You should google the map of Roaring River, maybe that will give you some context and tones down the nonsense.

To confirm:
You were at 228’ on air diluent, on a rebreather, in a limited vis cave, past a restriction at 160’, having intentionally hooked up air into your MAV, and having started the dive planning to inject your LP50 of 16/40 diluent into your loop by inhaling off of your necklaced reg, and then exhaling it into the loop. This was your first dive on trimix on that rebreather, in a permit-only state site, and your two bottle BO hypoxic class was conducted on a different unit. You then were narked off your gourd and got extraordinarily lucky. True or false?
Very very eloquently said.

Gus, who was your Ccr Trimix instructor? Just curious here.
I did not expect you to reply back with that intel. Two years of experience and first trimix dive on Sidewinder in a permit only cave…… There I put an X on back for telling the truth.

@lostsheep, I won't correct you, you do your thing, carry 4 tanks for a 215 ft dive if you want, if you think that makes you a safer diver then go ahead.

Four tanks really isn't that big of a deal. I did five tanks yesterday.

But just spit balling, why not two LP85s? Just upgrading to that gets you like 80 more cuft of gas. And they aren't much harder to dive than LP50s. Particularly for us folks shaped like cave divers and not slim and fit like Edd.

Nothing in this thread past Gus reply is doing anything to help create a “just culture” or understand the local rationality.

Maybe @GLOC will hop back on.

You're right, really we got his reasoning, at this point we need the accident report from Eric's accident and see if there is a any commonality.

And then let the chips fall where they may, because let's be honest few people are going to change their minds over the internet.

The fact that they have a successful YouTube channel might cause some people to assume they're some kind of authority, etc, but Gus and Woody have pointed out a number of time that they're not really anything special in terms of training or experience.
The reality is, as soon as you have a successful YouTube channel, you're going be viewed as a subject matter expert by a large number of your followers, no matter how much warning you give. It's not at all necessarily bad for the sport in the excitement and interest it creates, but attaching media to dives like these creates an unnecessary pressure to deliver.

Too many messages to respond, if you would like confirmation about "the facts", just watch our video where I detailed exactly what happened, at what depth, what was intentional and unintentional, etc.

And of course some of the responses here don't surprise me or anyone else, everyone online is "the best diver in the world", "their way" is "the only way".

We are the opposite, we openly accept we are not "the best divers in the world", constantly share our mistakes and unedited videos, and people seem to enjoy and respect that and that's why Dive Talk keeps growing and introducing people to diving all around the world.

Anyway, back to telling me how you would never make mistakes and I did everything wrong...

Shame on you.
A couple posters here spent several pages of critiquing Gus in ways that were questioning his skill and experience, and not merely trying to understand the accident. How else is somebody going to respond but a little defensive or frustrated? So now shame on him for....

Daring to talk about his incident, which he could have said nothing.
Daring to respond on Scuba Board, when he could have ignored SB.
You don't tell people what to do? Are you F*&&%ing kidding me? You don't pretend you know more than everyone else? Are you F*&%%ing kidding me?
This isn't a personal attack? You want people in general to have same rational discussions, when you are severely and harshly attacking Gus. Gus didn't tell you to "go **** yourself," or anything of the sort.

If you watch his show, both Gus and Woody absolutely do regularly mention things like they're not really better than everyone else. They regularly talk about people being much "smarter" and more experience than they are. They have a successful youtube channel. Are they not allowed to start such a youtube channel, because they're not the worlds most premire experts on everything in the diving universe?!?!?!

Your critique is flat out incorrect and extremely rude.

The reality is, as soon as you have a successful YouTube channel, you're going be viewed as a subject matter expert by a large number of your followers, no matter how much warning you give. It's not at all necessarily bad for the sport in the excitement and interest it creates, but attaching media to dives like these creates an unnecessary pressure to deliver.
So, we're not allowed to have successful youtube channels until we're super-top-level-instructors with billions of dives? What?

I have a buddy with a tiny SCUBA-related youtube channel, should I tell him to go shut it down?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom