Virginian diver dead at 190 feet - Roaring River State Park, Missouri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe labeling is a bad idea. It’s best to treat QC6 gas exchanges just like a second stage gas switch. Trace the hose back to the regulator and check the MOD on the tank it’s connected too. Purge the QC6 with the tank valve closed to verify the SPG drops.

But I am not a CCR Instructor so my recommendation is worth exactly what you paid for it…..nothing. And I only run one with an in-line shut off from my right BO tank to my ADV on a sidewinder.
Are you bringing any deco gasses and do they have QC6s on them?

I only use my sidewinder in caves, the deeper BO gases which may have QC6s on them get dropped. If I did for some reason plug in my EAN50 or 100% bottles as dilout I'd figure it out pretty quick at the very latest when I tried to drop them at the MODs. There's also a number of other safeguards that make it challenging for me to plug in the wrong gas - despite the sidewinder QC6 female side being pretty unfriendly to a buddy verification.

They are the same a second stage. They don't get labeled. Labeling them would make it possible to be installed on a different bottle and assumed incorrectly.
The tanks get analyzed and labeled. A gas switch procedure is used to verify the fitting is attached to the tank you think it is. MOD is on the tank for you and your team to read.
In my AN/DP class, we were taught to label our second stages, with the understanding that the second-stage label is for initial reference only. It's NOT a substitute for tracing the hose and getting a buddy-check on the tank's markings, but a label on the second stage is a convenient place to start the gas-switch protocol.

In my AN/DP class, we were taught to label our second stages, with the understanding that the second-stage label is for initial reference only. It's NOT a substitute for tracing the hose and getting a buddy-check on the tank's markings, but a label on the second stage is a convenient place to start the gas-switch protocol.
I teach the opposite.

Are you bringing any deco gasses and do they have QC6s
I only use my Sidewinder for cave diving also. Use a dual MAV that’s fed Dil via a lp QD from left tank, and ADV fed via a QC6 from right tank (Dil redundancy). Wing fed off left tank, drysuit fed off right tank (buoyancy redundancy).

For most caves in the 100-130 foot range, drop 100% Oxygen at entrance as only deco gas and stage EAN30 as needed. Both only have 2nd stage regs. on them w/ no quick disconnect(s)

For deep caves such as EN. Yes, drop oxygen and deco bottles at or just below MOD (example: 100%@30, 50/20@80, 21/35 @180, 18/45@250). Again deco and stage bottles (12/60) only have 2nd stages regs. and no quick disconnects.

If I bailout, I’ve bailed out and not going back on loop. I carry a QC6 and lp QD fitting in case I have a working rebreather and just need to plumb in dil from a stage or deco bottle. But only practiced doing it and have never used it in real life as dropped more than enough BO/deco gas.

Attachments

• EA6A1588-2B39-4427-B0AD-A07C574207DC.jpeg
    EA6A1588-2B39-4427-B0AD-A07C574207DC.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 44
Stop using different gasses in your SM dilout ...
I agree, mixing gases in that way is a horrible idea IMHO. Same with using only one first stage for Dil and BO.
This IMHO goes against the basic principals of cave and deco diving. You have no redundancy. Not that this would have made a difference in this case but I don't like to see this kind of configuration gaining popularity.

That setting is quite possibly leftover from the previous dive. Along with the EAN24/26 still being plugged in. I often wear 2 shearwaters and once or twice forgot to change the dil in the standalone unit. It's not that crazy of a mistake.
You think the made the switch at depth or had the wrong gas plugged in from the start of the dive? IIRC in the report it say he didn't have a stage on him... if he didn't have a stage he couldn't have made the wrong switch. If he dropped the stage, his switch to nx would have been deliberate.

Same with Gus, I don't understand how you can not notice the super high WOB at that depth staight away or on the way down. I don't know, but I reckon the WOB below 100' or air is even worse on a SW than on a JJ and it's really hard to ignore on a JJ.

This as well as Gus's case is a mystery too me. Gus's story from the video must be missing a piece or I just don't get it.

A good instructor teaches that every gas switch is a gas switch. Doesn't matter if it is a second stage or a qc6, you are still performing a gas switch and it should follow proper gas switching protocols.
Second stages can kill you just as easily. I see it as a training issue, not a gear issue.

This.

@Tracy

What is the common pratice for labeling said quick connects?

I'm new to CCR and don't use one such so I'm curious.

Label the cylinder. Trace the hose. Treat it like any second stage with different gases.

So you check the second stage marking and then check the cylinder after following the hose? Or is the buddy the only person checking the cylinder marking?

Asking out of curiosity

So you check the second stage marking and then check the cylinder after following the hose? Or is the buddy the only person checking the cylinder marking?

Asking out of curiosity
The first of those two. I check the second stage marking, then trace the hose and check the tank marking, and then get a buddy verification.

The second stage labeling, btw, is done just before the dive. I stick a piece of white duct tape underneath the second stage's exhaust tee, and I mark it with a Sharpie to match the tank's labeled mix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom