Visibility clearing up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avic7

Contributor
Reaction score
Darn it, I am suffering from withdrawal I want to go diving so bad.
Has the visibility cleared up at all around Porteau or Whytecliff? Last time I went diving was about two weeks ago for my advance dive lessons. Visibility was so bad that my partner and I could not even see each other even though we both had D8 flashlights. It was kinda cool and freaky and frustrating since I have only 8 dives under my belt. We ended up holding hands and sitting at the bottom of Porteau and counting the minutes that we were underwater. The other good thing is that I got to practice using my compass.
Also want to use my new dry suit. Used it only once so far. Gotta work out the kinks and get use to not moving my neck so that water will stay out instead of getting in.

Ok that all for my rant. Anyone diving lately? :11ztongue

aw, you were holding hands? how cute. Sorry, couldn't resist. I was out there a couple weeks ago too, and vis was crap. The back of the granthall was ok though (20' vis). Getting to and from though was kinda fun.

Good job in pulling off a dive like that with no problems and only 8 dives under your belt. That can be a stressful situation for just about anybody.

The viz a couple weeks ago at whytecliff & porteau was next to nothing.
But this past sunday it was decent at ansel. And not too bad at copper cove. I'll be out tonight, so we shall see if it has continued to improve.

Avic7:
Darn it, I am suffering from withdrawal I want to go diving so bad.
Has the visibility cleared up at all around Porteau or Whytecliff? Last time I went diving was about two weeks ago for my advance dive lessons. Visibility was so bad that my partner and I could not even see each other even though we both had D8 flashlights. It was kinda cool and freaky and frustrating since I have only 8 dives under my belt. We ended up holding hands and sitting at the bottom of Porteau and counting the minutes that we were underwater. The other good thing is that I got to practice using my compass.
Also want to use my new dry suit. Used it only once so far. Gotta work out the kinks and get use to not moving my neck so that water will stay out instead of getting in.

Ok that all for my rant. Anyone diving lately? :11ztongue
Glad it's not just us. Vis in mid-Vancouver Island has dropped to almost zero. The herring are spawning so we'll be seeing very little underwater for a couple of weeks.

Maybe the vis at Porteau and Whytecliff is so bad due to the roto-tillers. Seeing as Ansel as a wall with no silty bottom I have always experianced much better vis there tha either of the 2 normal spots. I bet the futher you get aroung the point at tha cliff (north towards lookout) the better the vis gets ???
Oh did I mention those dives in Fiji where the vis was at least 100m... :monster:

I just talked to a friend and she said Viz is goin to get worse from here on end, is that true? Unless we dive 60 ft or deeper? Will we have to wait until winter before we have great visibility again?

Avic7:
I just talked to a friend and she said Viz is goin to get worse from here on end, is that true? Unless we dive 60 ft or deeper? Will we have to wait until winter before we have great visibility again?

I was down from the interior a few weeks ago and it was terrible. I'm coming down again this weekend to do 2 days of diving with friends, so I sure hope it clears up. What is causing it to get so bad? Just plankton blooms?
Nalidixic

Someone said it was the redtide, the full moon a couple of weeks back pulled up all those silt and whatnot and gravitational pull moved it towards shore and someone else said its plankton season soon so who knows...???

I wonder if their is a website people can check to see what the viz is in certain areas, if not I could probably set one up, but would need scuba divers all over to fill in the conditions on a daily basis, probably won't work.

blah blah blah.... 100ft viz.... blah blah blah... (bite me) :D

Actually, Sharky, I did a dive at the cut last week (??? maybe 2 weeks ago...) & the viz wasn't any better. Didn't clear up unless you really go deep (90ft +).

Don't you miss it, yet???

I do miss it...very much :(
getting buzzed by seals...lunged at by ling...and that little attack red irish lord in the middle of the cliff bay. I would say if it's that bad then just go deep and bring lots of light and lots o gas, or keep going back to Ansel :toilet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom