Visibility clearing up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done a few dives where vis was basically 0-5 ft. You need to get out to Indian Arm for the truly awful vis. I did a couple of crabbing dives this summer where my buddy and I kept tabs on each other by literally swimming so close that we were always bumping into each other. Porteau can get pretty skunky in the fall, too. I remember assisting with one AOW dive out by the Granthall in particular: upon descent, I could see that the vis was really tenuous, sort of a halocline haze all around. As soon as the students touched down - BOOM! Vis was totally gone and I basically got myself and the other students to sit tight until the instructor thumbed the dive. Rory basically had to thumb the dive by putting his hand about 6" from my face, and we were sweating about getting all the students back up!

come back... sell me your halcyon... buy a juicier light... everyone's happy! (We all miss you; :djbluey: you provide all the entertainment - gossip -)
And I want your light. God I hate my light. Hmmm... then again, my account is pretty much paid off....
As for zero viz. I haven't seen it at whytecliff (I've seen close). But I have seen it (Keats' Island) caused by HEAVY rainfall the night before. Martin had to call a course out at the cliff that same day cuz the viz was so bad. And you know it has to be down to nothing for that dude :D to call it.
Surprisingly I haven't encountered the fabled low viz in Indian Arm. I actually tend to encounter decent viz out there (till the crabs, my buddy & I start playing tag)

Speaking of tag, that's another reason you have to return. No one else has the guts to fight for your game idea. Neil's :god: convinced we'll be slicing each others' hosesin mere minutes & NDL's will be thrown out the window. (He has such little confidence in us :crying2:

:cwmddd: I am so lost, what are you talking about nessum? :06:

Sitting in front of the computer for the past week and procrasinating about studying and dreaming about diving. God, I feel like such a couch potato, i can see my stomach grow fatter by the minute. :sofa: Anyways what is the visibility out there nowadays? within the last 2 days at Porteau and Whyecliff and Ansell?

Avic7:
Not quite sure what you mean Lightning Fish, how can gravitational pull not be considered significant? If it enough to change the tide all around the world, why can't it effect viz?
Always willing to learn more

Of course gravitational pull is significant; it is because of the gravitational pull that there are tides. But the gravitational pull from one day to the next isn't going to suddenly start pulling silt up off the bottom of the ocean that will result in a big change in viz.

Bill.

OooohHHHhhh capture the flag under water? THat sound so fun, watch my air consumption go from full to 1/5 full in 10 min tryin to swim around playing tag.

I'm in for the capture the flag !!!! Sounds like fun.

When i took my open water in 86 we had to do our mask removal on the bottom as we could only see about 6" from the bottom and none above that. That was at the Whytecliff. And that was at 8am sharp nobody else was in the water. Also dove porteau cove and it too was not the best. But I have also dove them both and the viss was great. Hit and miss and blooms, tides. Come up this way but we have bad viss right now 20' at best.
Cheers

The capture the flag idea would be great if the viss was good. Other then that it would be a compass dive and loads of lost divers :D If this idea comes into to play I am totaly for it. Please do e-mail or send a PM I would head south for that.
Cheers
Derek

Maybe when summer arrives, there can be a scuba board get together at porteau for a cookout and capture the flag, with the buoys as boundary.
Anyone go diving today or yesterday? what is the viz out there right now? still cloudy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom