Visuals on all emptied tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScott

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For those in the know, in our country, is it standard practise for a shop to do a viz on any tanks coming in already drained of gas, and looking to be filled?

A bit more info - 2 yr old tanks, all hydro,viz stickers easily read.

SS

It's a good idea to have them VIP'ed regardless of how old it is if there is a chance you have gotten water/debris in your tank. I know two of the stores I go to do VIP's on empty tanks. I don't know if you have to tell them it's empty or not, never had an empty tank, but I'm also sure they'll charge you for it.

If they don't do it for you, I would suggest getting it done, regardless.

Mike

I think the short answer is yes.

What's the date on the viz stickers? you mention they're readable, but not the date. A visual inspection is required yearly, so if the tank is two years old with a two year old sticker, you're overdue.
Also, if you reach zero pressure, you risk water or other foreign matter entering the tank and a visual will be required. If you want to lower the pressures for storage (off season) drop em to around 200PSI, but not to 0. If they're at zero because somone shipped em to you, then a visual is definitely indicated.

If I remember correctly, Transport Canada does not require an internal visual inspection but does require an external inspection prior to any fill.

It is standard practise in the scuba industry to require VIS stickers but I do not think that it is required by law. I DO THINK that it is a VERY VERY GOOD idea tho.

Ontario Diver once bubbled...
If I remember correctly, Transport Canada does not require an internal visual inspection but does require an external inspection prior to any fill.

It is standard practise in the scuba industry to require VIS stickers but I do not think that it is required by law. I DO THINK that it is a VERY VERY GOOD idea tho.
It is an "industry standard" as they have mentioned above. As Ontario Diver stated TC only requires the vis by law at the time of hydro. Dive shops are looking after your best interests by doing an internal vis on your tank when brought to them empty --ie contaminants could have entered your tank. Obviously if they drain the tank to do a partial pressure fill, this would not apply.

ScubaScott once bubbled...
For those in the know, in our country, is it standard practise for a shop to do a viz on any tanks coming in already drained of gas, and looking to be filled?

A bit more info - 2 yr old tanks, all hydro,viz stickers easily read.

SS

Yep...I've also been told what others have said...If a tank doesn't have pressure, it may have debris in it...

--Sean

FWIW - I had to drain my tanks recently to ship them, I mentionted it to the local LDS after arriving at the new location. They didn't do a vis on the tanks.

The tanks visuals were done by the same LDS about 1 month ago. What happened was I brought in one tank that had about 100psi and the other completely drained. The shop performed visuals on each tank, and of course charged me for it.

Now - since it is standard practise to check them for debris or moisture, I don't have a problem. I did at the time think the Shop was trying to screw me for some extra $$$$, as I didn't know about this.

Another question - I was under the impression that even 1# of air in a cylinder is enough to keep out moisture and crud - I guess this isn't the case?

Out of air in SSM,

SS

The tanks visuals were done by the same LDS about 1 month ago. What happened was I brought in one tank that had about 100psi and the other completely drained. The shop performed visuals on each tank, and of course charged me for it.

Now - since it is standard practise to check them for debris or moisture, I don't have a problem. I did at the time think the Shop was trying to screw me for some extra $$$$, as I didn't know about this.

Another question - I was under the impression that even 1# of air in a cylinder is enough to keep out moisture and crud - I guess this isn't the case?

Out of air in SSM,

SS
<Anne Landers mode on>
Dear Out of Air:

I really think the issue is where were the tanks drained? IF it was done on the surface, then most dive shops will not make a fuss, but if the tank was underwater, well, they view that differently. Of course the worst one is draining a tank underwater and then taking it deeper!

Is you LDS trying to get extra dough, don't know. Ask them to explain their policy so that you fully understand it. Tell them your concerns.

And yes, any pressure above ambient will keep **** out of your tanks. I am not going to talk about changes in atmospheric pressure due to passing fronts and draining a tank in the mountains and bringing it to sea level... but essentially you are correct. However, correct may not be enough to convince a LDS operator.

Doppler

SS

Certainly 100PSI should be enough to keep debris and moisture out, so "gouging" comes to mind. Did they inform you about visuals first, or just ahead and do them. If they just went ahead, especially with 100PSI in the tank, I'd be upset and considering another LDS.

OTOH, why the heck did you have one at 100PSI and one completely drained? In 60 dives, I have only once run a tank under 500PSI when I had a free flow when I took a deep breath on the surface in near freezing temps at the end of a dive. With help from my buddy we got the tank shut off before it went under 300PSI. I always dive rule of thirds. One third out, one third back and one third reserve and usually end a dive with 900 to 1000PSI remaining.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom