volo v quattro fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am almost finished with my open water certification. I will be diving mostly in Florida and in warm climates. I am intersted in the Mares Volo or the Quattro fins - any advice. Also what do you think about split fins, specifically the Oceanic vortex v-12 and the Tusa x-pert zoom?

I haven't dove either one, but I saw someone cussing a blue streak on a dive boat once because the "hinge" on one of their Volos broke.

This topic has been discussed several times in this forum. Just do search & you'll find all the info you're looking for and more.

Bonne chance,

~SubMariner~

I've been swimming with the quattros for 3 years now and was considering the switch to Volos. Heard too many problems with the hinge and weak performance against moderate currents, so decided to stick with the quattros.

Either one, be careful when opening the clasp buckle on the foot strap.
You can rip your whole finger nail out!
I know coz I nearly did!
:wacko:

I own both, I use the volo's with my wetsuit and the quatro's with my dry suit. I find the volo's really shine on a surface swim, the hinged blade seems too allow a better stroke without the blade popping up out of the water. The volo's definately cause a lot less wear and tear on the leg muscles and I've never really noticed any performace issues in currents (but we usually don't have much current here). The quatro's are nice solid blade fin that's going to perform as reliably as any other fin.

As far as the hinge breaking, this was supposedly a problem with the first production of the volo's but was fixed on subsequent productions, if the volo's have non-locking abs buckles, they are first run and don't buy them.

I can't say which I prefer, I like both.

Steve

If you are considering Xpert zooms or Vortex v-12's, make sure you take a look at the Atomics. I own one, and I am very happy with them. These three fins have similar shapes, but I haven't tried the Xpert or the Vortex to be able to make in-water comparisons myself. What I do know, is that the Atomics has better buckles and quite possibly better foot pockets.

I never tried the volvo's but I found the quattro's to big. Okay for half hour but tiring for endurance, particularly long dives, I tried them for a year or two but went back to jets. I find a fin needs to be short for endurance and broad for turning and good acceleration, negatively buoyant for balance. Rubber fins are more durable and scratch resistant than plastic polymers. You can pay stupid money for turtles or Scuba Pro jets, but if you can locate a pair 2nd hand of CD fins for a dry suit or Beuchat jet fins for wet suit, there is no difference in performace, you can't wear them out and if your lucky you won't part with more than $20. :D

Love my Volos but have considered getting a pair.......not just one......of the Atomics. Dove with a guy in Coz in May who just loves his Atomics. Mine and my wifes Volos have about 65 dives on them and we both like the power. No hinge or buckle problems to date.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom