voluntary rescue diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Are their any volantary rescue diving teams? Im not even sure Im old enough to work as one, but im 16 and a rescue diver. Any voluntary work I could do, and if so, where should I ask?

midwest diver:
Are their any volantary rescue diving teams? Im not even sure Im old enough to work as one, but im 16 and a rescue diver. Any voluntary work I could do, and if so, where should I ask?
First off your not old enough. I don't know if we ever get old enough.

Being a rescue diver does not make you a "Rescue Diver" (PSD = Public Safety Diver). Who ever coined that term made a mistake as it can be confusing.

Wonder around this site and read some of the posts about what goes on and what we go through. Look at the "Training" section first.

You have a long time to get proper training and make up your mind.

Gary D.

Gary is correct that you are not old enough to be selected by almost any team to dive. PLEASE read the posts about some of the stories and incidents that have been posted. This is in no way has any resembelance to fun diving. In many cases, you are in what could be described as very poor conditions (viz, current, debris, unfamiliar dive sites). It takes an individual who can deal with the stress of locating deceased victims, victims with trauma, and police evidence recovery.

My son is 18 and will be learning to dive next month. While he has the desire to do the things that I do, I will not permit him to PSD until he has several years of experiencing the ugly part of public service through the fire department activities, many, many recreational dives, and training specific to PSD. I believe that most on this site will agree with me that this diving is just not something that most young adults are mentally prepared to deal with.

Keep diving, learn, and expand your training. Sooner than later, you will get there.

Dive safe!

Dan

When I first was certified last year, I considered going to PSD work. I spent six years working on a factory rescue and haz-mat squad.

Then I realized exactly what a PSD does, and after reading their stories here, I decided I like sleeping soundly at night.

I appreciate everything they do, and I realize I am not ever going to be up to the task.

Dive safe and have fun.

No team I know of even could take a 16 y/o as a diver, much less one without PSD. You might be able to find a severly shorthanded volunteer team who would want to train you for shore support if you could convince them you were serious and mature enough (you know what people generally think of 16 y/os) *maybe* there wouldn't be rules against that.

Back
Top Bottom