Vomiting Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was covered in my OW class. Regulators are designed to do these things. Puke all you want.......leave your reg in your mouth, that way it eliminates the chance of voluntarily or involuntarily sucking in seawater. If your primary reg gets plugged up it probably means you need to chew your food.:D

After a day of diving, I once accidentally inhaled a bunch of pool water because I forgot I didn't have a reg in my mouth, so I could see how it could happen if you were distracted by the whole puking thing.

Well yeah, that's what many people have said. But is the inhaling of sea water done accidentally or involuntarily? Accidentally means to me that you didn't do things right and had an accident, whereas involuntarily mean you have no choice and it WILL happen. Maybe I'm splitting hairs? Is it truly involuntary?-- I really don't know.
It's a good question. I would quarrel with your definitions a little, though. Involuntary, to me, means that it is done without conscious control, like breathing. I think the post-puke inhale is involuntary, but, like breathing in general, is an urge that can be consciously overridden. So you do have a choice. But it is not a situation where you are likely to have your wits totally about you, and it's unpleasant to practice, too. :wink: So leave the regulator in your mouth, and don't risk swapping them in anticipation, in my opinion.

I have never puked underwater (in fact, I have not had to puke in the last few years) but reading this thread further reinforces my policy of eating only oatmeal the morning of a dive.

It's a good question. I would quarrel with your definitions a little, though. Involuntary, to me, means that it is done without conscious control, like breathing. I think the post-puke inhale is involuntary, but, like breathing in general, is an urge that can be consciously overridden. So you do have a choice. But it is not a situation where you are likely to have your wits totally about you, and it's unpleasant to practice, too. :wink: So leave the regulator in your mouth, and don't risk swapping them in anticipation, in my opinion.

1. can be consciously overridden. So you do have a choice.
2. not likely to have your wits about you, though.
3. don't risk it, don't PRACTISE it.

Best response I think I've ever seen on SB.

I've thrown up underwater several times and it always seems to sneak up on me....like, I think I have it under control - but no - out it comes.
As the other posters suggested, just hold your reg in your mouth and try to look cool so no one notices......

Throwing up at surface is much worse - it just sits there and it's crazy hard to splash away the floating mess....

:dork2: Actually, there is an involuntary trigger when vomiting and you you may possibly inhale. Not able to suppress consciously either. Medical term is aspirate and is more likely the more severe the vomiting.

My daughter calls me a nerd.

No personal desire to vomit -period let alone under water

Thanks all! OP here. I've never vomited underwater but I came close on the last dive trip. Was feeling queasy on the surface interval and during the dive burped a little up but little enough to just spit it out of my mouth with the reg out, replace rep and purge.

Now that I have all your info I'll just be puking through my primary if it ever has to happen :p

Back
Top Bottom