Vomiting Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you vomit into your reg try to keep your tongue pressed up onto your top front teeth so when you inhale you don't aspire chunky chunks like the guy in Akimbo's story.

And vomit into the reg you WON'T be donating in the event of an OOA. Universal First Aid precautions. Assume everyone is diseased. Including yourself :wink:

Use the purge botton but lightly it'll force the puke out and keep air in the sec stage for that involuntary next breath. Stick a finger between your lower lip and the mouthpiece.
It'll give a place for the puke to go and keep from overpressurizing your lungs. It's a good thing to learn before you puke. How hard is too hard to press the purge? Too hard you could force air into your lungs. I learned in my living room. Then tried in the water. No puke....yet.

Wow I can't believe no one suggested running an OOA drill with your buddy?? That way you puke into their reg, then switch back to your own nice clean reg. Sometimes people are too serious giving valid answers.

First hand experience, just keep the reg in and vomit through the reg. Fish WILL love you (did mine in the keys and had an awesome school swirl about me). did it away from the other divers so didn't affect them that much.

As was pointed out, just rinse it out real well afterwards.

Well since I use a long hose, I donate my primary - so I want to make sure it is working and not gunked up for that reason. In the unlikely event that I have to switch to my secondary (in the event of donation or failure - not more vomiting!) then I'll be the one sucking on the previously chummed reg; which is why I would clean it out underwater after I was done

We need a name for this procedure by the way... I'm thinking the >something< manouever, any suggestions? Battle Mallet perhaps??

I think it should only get a name if there's pictorial evidence available somewhere on scubaboard or the internet at large.

Same to me.. Unexpected surge and barf.. It was a rental reg. Afterwards, re-thought renting regs knowing what happens to them.
I was so embarrassed. There was a hot dive master chicky poo was trying to make the moves on.. A real fish expert. (I think you call a marine biologist?) Anyhoo.. she was torked thinking someone in the group brought a can of cheeze wiz with them.. She asked if anyone was feeding fish. I just kind of looked the other way, changed the topic.. "how 'bout those Those red sox!"

Seriously.. Instinct took over. didn't inhale.. Immediately moved reg out, purged a lot, and was ok.. Just had to deal with feeling a few leftover bits.

If you dive and expect to yuk, recommend eating something good that tastes good twice. (e.g. Pineapple..) Skip the Sandwich Cubanos. (not good the second time)

OK. I'm one of the lucky ones. Can't recall the last time I barfed. NEVER the least bit seasick. I was never told anything about puking in any of the classes I've taken. But....My inclination would be to take the reg OUT, do the deed (airway would obviously be OPEN), put reg back in, clear it, and then inhale. I have no experience doing this and don't plan to practise it, but is this so hard to do? Just involves a little thought and control, no? ei.- "stop, think, act". And a nice clean second stage. Would have to do with "comfortability", as they say, in water. As one poster said, he takes in some water afterwords anyway to wash out the mouth then puts the reg back in. Is the urge to inhale at some point THAT involuntary? Now I admit--I could be COMPLETELY wrong on this, and probably am, since everyone says keep the reg in. The last time I puked may be in the '80s, and definately had nothing to do with the ocean.

OK. I'm one of the lucky ones. Can't recall the last time I barfed. NEVER the least bit seasick. I was never told anything about puking in any of the classes I've taken. But....My inclination would be to take the reg OUT, do the deed (airway would obviously be OPEN), put reg back in, clear it, and then inhale. I have no experience doing this and don't plan to practise it, but is this so hard to do? Just involves a little thought and control, no? ei.- "stop, think, act". And a nice clean second stage. Would have to do with "comfortability", as they say, in water. As one poster said, he takes in some water afterwords anyway to wash out the mouth then puts the reg back in. Is the urge to inhale at some point THAT involuntary? Now I admit--I could be COMPLETELY wrong on this, and probably am, since everyone says keep the reg in. The last time I puked may be in the '80s, and definately had nothing to do with the ocean.

By keeping your reg in while puking minimizes change accidentally inhaling sea water. You would compound the problem by involuntarily inhaling ocean. Now you're coughing and puking.:shocked2:

By keeping your reg in while puking minimizes change accidentally inhaling sea water. You would compound the problem by involuntarily inhaling ocean. Now you're coughing and puking.:shocked2:

Well yeah, that's what many people have said. But is the inhaling of sea water done accidentally or involuntarily? Accidentally means to me that you didn't do things right and had an accident, whereas involuntarily mean you have no choice and it WILL happen. Maybe I'm splitting hairs? Is it truly involuntary?-- I really don't know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom