Vortex 3-18-2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Reminder...

The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.
(8) If your post is about legal action that concerns a mishap, use the Scuba Related Court Cases forum.
Thanks in advance,

Due to the apparent fatalities in two locations today, posts will be moved to the appropriate thread.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/414368-ginne-3-18-2012-a.html

Last edited:
Hi... I am not a diver, but joined because of that incident. A beloved family friend died yesterday at Vortex. We are having problems finding out much information about it, only that they could not recover him yesterday (I am thinking it happened too late in the day).

Are you a cave diver? It might help some of those in my family if we can better understand what might have happened. :(

Hi... I am not a diver, but joined because of that incident. A beloved family friend died yesterday at Vortex. We are having problems finding out much information about it, only that they could not recover him yesterday (I am thinking it happened too late in the day).

Are you a cave diver? It might help some of those in my family if we can better understand what might have happened. :(

Oh, Grace, so sorry for your loss! :hugs: May we know his first name? I will put him and you in our prayer chain.

No one will know what happened until the reports come in. They will ask others, analyze his leftover gas and inspect his equipment.

I will tell you that incredibly experienced, highly trained divers of the International Underwater Cave Rescue and Recovery (IUCRR) will do everything they can (and please understand that they are taking enormous risks here, so please pray for their safety) to bring your loved one out. Their website is here: http://iucrr.org/

May I please warn you that people will get very blunt and emotional in this thread? You may need to recuse yourself if the discussion hurts too bad. Just warning you for your own sake, Grace. We don't mean to be hurtful, but honest and frank discussion helps educate others and can be hurtful for the family and friends.

Cave divers practice accident analysis, and unless your loved one had a medical incident, he probably violated one of the main rules of cave diving:

• Diving beyond one's training and experience level. Doodoo hits the fan and the diver panics
  • Failure to maintain a continuous guideline to the surface
  • Failure to plan and maintain appropriate breathing gas and reserves.
  • Not having and maintaining appropriate equipment for the dive.
  • Exceeding depth appropriate for one's breathing gas, training, and experience.

Know that we grieve as well when one is lost in a cave. "There, but for the Grace of God, go I." If the discussion becomes hurtful, please don't visit here. God Bless you and your family. :hugs:

Grace, I am sorry for your families loss. A loss of a cave diver is like a loss of family to us as well.

Hi Grace, Jax summed it up pretty good. I am sorry for your loss. God bless you and your family.

Let's not go there, please?

Folks, rumor also has it there was another fatality at Ginnie. PLEASE . . . keep the recovery divers in your thoughts and prayers. :depressed:

Damn, this just SUCKS! Grace, I will have to echo Jax's comments; what actually happened won't be known/released immediately. This particular sub-forum may get somewhat brutally frank in it's discussions and can be upsetting to family and friends. Please understand that alot of what you may read can seem personal, accusatory and heartless. It is not intended and our hearts go out to the diver and family, and you may even see a few posts reminding members that this is not the place for those condolences or sympathies Just want you to know up front. With that said, I'm going to get my violation out of the way; Condolences, sympathies, and prayers. may God Bless!
51.gif

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom