Vortex Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kinda makes me ill to see how many people have to have someone to blame for everything. Sometimes things just happen which appears to be the case here. If you are an instructor, you are there to impart information, train, and help your students understand how to do things and possible issues that may result in harm, injury and / or death.

No one has yet proven how sharing air, or buddy breathing has had anything to do with this incident but are sure quick to try and find fault in the instructor. In fact it looks more like a medical issue that was not known (or maybe was) and any ascent may have caused a change in the pressure gradient to cause injury.

If profiles are right than Mitsu, you have been diving for three years total. That is no where near enough time to have a mature understanding and real experience about diving and what can happen. Thousands of dives in nice clear water can't prepare you for quarry issues, rig diving in the Gulf of Mexico, of Deep wreck diving in the Atlantic or Great Lakes, or river diving in zero vis. How do you even point a finger on something you have no first hand knowledge of? There were only a handful of people actually there and it is almost assuredly a medical issue and had nothing to do with buddy breathing, sharing air or wearing a snorkel that is too large for the diver.

Having said this, instructors are here to give their students training and as many options as possible to be used underwater. There are minimum standards set so that there is a defining line of training that students all must achieve. Giving students more information and options is not negligent. In the Navy (basic training) seaman recruits fire a few rounds out of a shotgun and a pistol and that is it. They only get exposure to firearm in the begining. In the Marine Corps every Marine is a rifleman. By this line of thinking the Marine Instructors would be negligent as they give more options and training since all are part of the military...............can you see where this is going? Teaching more is not necessarily a violation. Violating established training standards is, but as Rob has shown, June 2010 is the date that is set.

If an instructor is motivated by liability than he, or she, will not be a very effective instructor. As with anything liability is a monster in this country and we have to be aware of it. Basing everything we do on it is poor motivation....................remember one of the first rules in scuba diving is self responsibility. Scuba Diving is potentially DANGEROUS. That is the way it is, no sugar coating, you can be injured, crippled or die doing this. You can also have the best and most relaxing fun you have ever had.

Please give the wild speculation about "bogus instructor violations" a rest. If there is first hand evidence of a real violation............then by all means lets discuss it. Let's find out what happened medically and discuss the medical issues (such as PFO's) that we need to be aware of so we don't get hurt by not knowing.

I guess I am tired of people getting behind a keyboard and talking about stuff with authority and in fact many have only read about things and have no first hand knowledge, or experience, of what they are commenting on. :coffee:

Spd 135, I agree with you that this is speculation run wild and that sometimes stuff just happens. The truth is that not all accidents are preventable. Life is about managing risk not preventing it (because you can't) and I would say the same about diving. The only thing I saw that you said that got me was that 3 years isn't enough time to have a full comprehension of everything that can happen. The truth about that is that we don't know this persons capability to learn and don't know how much time they have devoted to learning and actual diving.

Has anyone heard how the diver is doing, or learned the facts on what happened?

I have no clue what happened in the spring, and I would like to know how the diver is doing and what went wrong. i have actually learned alto from this thread and it reminded me of the importance of not holding your breath.

As a teacher with saws in the class room I have to agree with the fact that the DI might find himself in court. My college professor stressed to his students that it is very important to have all T's doted and I's crossed. If it is not documented then it did not happen (safety test). Evan after we give students test and instructions and practice if something happens ,we the class room instructor, is the first person the lawyers are going to go after. Therefore I try and cover my a$$ as much as possible. I do not think the first mention of law suit was to place blame on the DI as much as it was met as a reminder to CYA.

I just talked witht he hospital that the diver was flown to and they let me talk to his nurse. The nurse said he is still in ICU and is recovering after having an emergency surgery to remove part of his lung. They did not give the the cause but only how he was doing and what they did. They do expect him to recover, but would tell me to what extent. He is talking and did authorize the nurse to give me this information. Lets keep him in our prayers and also say a prayer for his wife and 4 children that were here and witnessed this.

Will add him in our prayers

The number one rule in Scuba, never hold your breath. Regardless if he were buddy breathing, or sharing air, you never hold your breath. Buddy breathing between students is common. I can't tell how many times my instructor stressed to never hold your breath during training, but it seemed like every 5 minutes or so.

My instructor from Bay Breeze Dive Center told the class NEVER hold your breath for any reason. She is a very good instructor! I very much recommend her to anyone i know she is on here and i hope she reads this she is a very safe instructor and a very good one .............I don't know anything about what happen like most of yall on here! So about what he might have done wrong or didn't do don't speculate if u weren't there and didn't witness it first hand . >>>>>> Just keep him and his family in your prayers <<<<<<<

Spd 135, I agree with you that this is speculation run wild and that sometimes stuff just happens. The truth is that not all accidents are preventable. Life is about managing risk not preventing it (because you can't) and I would say the same about diving. The only thing I saw that you said that got me was that 3 years isn't enough time to have a full comprehension of everything that can happen. The truth about that is that we don't know this persons capability to learn and don't know how much time they have devoted to learning and actual diving.

Has anyone heard how the diver is doing, or learned the facts on what happened?

The three years was in regards to Mitsu, and his apparent need to make somone responsible for this, not the injured diver.

I just had my buddy get certified for diving with NAUI and they do teach airshare and its a good thing... because our first day at vortex (his first non-instructional dive), a cave diver was on a deco stop and his regulator malfunctioned and miles airshared with him during his stop and then ascended with him... If NAUI hadn't taught miles what to do, there would've been a good chance that guy would've had to ascend very quickly or miles could've been injured in the process of trying to help a fellow diver.

Last edited:
I misread earlier, they just did an air share accent... I don't think buddy breathing should ever be taught ^_^

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom