Vortex Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just had my buddy get certified for diving with NAUI and they do teach airshare and its a good thing... because our first day at vortex (his first non-instructional dive), a cave diver was on a deco stop and his regulator malfunctioned and miles airshared with him during his stop

Are you really telling me that this "cavediver" only had one regulator and no buddy?

Or was this "cavediver" an OW diver with recreational gear that happened to be in a cave?

Big difference.

Are you really telling me that this "cavediver" only had one regulator and no buddy?

Or was this "cavediver" an OW diver with recreational gear that happened to be in a cave?

Big difference.

Agreed, there are more than a few recreational divers going beyond their limits at Vortex - without the training and gear.

Agreed, there are more than a few recreational divers going beyond their limits at Vortex - without the training and gear.

now if your going into a cave with out proper training your looking to get hurt or dead but if someone is needing help than by all means u need to try to help them but buddy breathing is something every one needs to be trained in

I think with everyone having octos and even a lot of people sporting pony bottles, there is no reason to really have buddy breathing....Especially since it does seem to be a little dangerous and people might try to old their breath while their buddy is breathing.

I think with everyone having octos and even a lot of people sporting pony bottles, there is no reason to really have buddy breathing....Especially since it does seem to be a little dangerous and people might try to old their breath while their buddy is breathing.

But if your taught right from the start then u will know not to hold your breath.

Don't know where u learned to dive from but i think u need to back up and think about what your saying about buddy breathing. It needs to be taught ! The instructor i had @ Bay Breeze Dive Center she taught us the right way so for that i thank you Craig very good training !!!!!!!!!!

I really wish this were still a required skill during OW training...I, for one, am glad my instructor taught me to buddy breathe during my OW class.

Not only did it give me a "last resort" way to share air (which, admittedly, is pretty unlikely I'll ever actually need to use it), but it also taught me to be comfortable with a regulator out of my mouth, and increased my comfort with scuba gear. I guess it's kind of like learning the "ditch and don"...in reality, there's little need to know how to remove your BC underwater, but the confidence that gives the new diver is substantial. I know I felt one heck of a lot more confident as a new diver, knowing that I was comfortable enough in the water to be able to completely take off my BC and redon it.

My OW was with SSI and they only taught airshare

Doesn't have anything to do with agency, its an instructor thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom