Vortex is clearing up 2-2-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know why anyone would band up two tanks in the first place, poor guy. He shoulda known better...

*runs the hell away*

Has anyone ever seen a DIN plug that was vented to release pressure. I don't use mine cause every now and then I turn the handle when carrying the tank. I remember that happening to someone once and they had a heck of a time getting the plug out.

I was thinking of getting some of those plastic DIN plugs, and drilling a hole in them.
Glen,
The solid S/S DIN plugs are best IMHO. They do more than just save gas. They protect the DIN valve orifice from being banged and bent. The plastic plugs have been known to split and blow out causing injury to divers when valve was accidentally turned on while handling. It's not a big deal to slowly turn the S/S gas saver plugs with a wrench, until the seal is broken with the o-ring.
I had an 80 stage accidentaly turned on at Hole years ago with Rob Steffen. If I hadn't had the S/S DIN Gas Saver plug in it we would have had to abort our second dive. We were in my Gheenoe and had no tools. I took the motor off the boat and clamped the motor lock onto the plug while Rob rotated my 80. I hooked up my reg. and we went diving. What great memories! By the way, I have somewhere around 50 of the original Chuck Noe S/S DIN plugs in my 20 something tank's valves. No complaints!
Thanks,
Kenny P.

Thanks Kenny and Rob...that is good information. Looks like I will be getting some S/S plugs for 4 tanks soon! So is it accurate to say that you leave DIN plugs in all the time unless you have your regs hooked to the tank?

Glen,
The solid S/S DIN plugs are best IMHO. They do more than just save gas. They protect the DIN valve orifice from being banged and bent. The plastic plugs have been known to split and blow out causing injury to divers when valve was accidentally turned on while handling. It's not a big deal to slowly turn the S/S gas saver plugs with a wrench, until the seal is broken with the o-ring.
I had an 80 stage accidentaly turned on at Hole years ago with Rob Steffen. If I hadn't had the S/S DIN Gas Saver plug in it we would have had to abort our second dive. We were in my Gheenoe and had no tools. I took the motor off the boat and clamped the motor lock onto the plug while Rob rotated my 80. I hooked up my reg. and we went diving. What great memories! By the way, I have somewhere around 50 of the original Chuck Noe S/S DIN plugs in my 20 something tank's valves. No complaints!
Thanks,
Kenny P.

I have a set of S/S bolts for my valves, but I just got into the habit of leaving my regs screwed into my tanks so that I was reay to go for the next trip. Looks like I wil go back to screwing in my S/S bolts from now on :shakehead:.

I unhook mine most of the time because I put them in my tank rack...I have two plugs (not stainless steel but also not plastic?) but I don't put them in. I think I will start making sure I plug them up.

I have a set of S/S bolts for my valves, but I just got into the habit of leaving my regs screwed into my tanks so that I was reay to go for the next trip. Looks like I wil go back to screwing in my S/S bolts from now on :shakehead:.

You guys wouldn't have these issues if you had a van like mine. Tanks stay snug where they belong until it's time to go dive... :D

Yeah, but I don't like being confused with small town floridian pederasses!

Hey! I'm confused with the big city ones, buddy! The small town pederasses can't afford the extended version... :wink:

Thanks Kenny and Rob...that is good information. Looks like I will be getting some S/S plugs for 4 tanks soon! So is it accurate to say that you leave DIN plugs in all the time unless you have your regs hooked to the tank?
Yes! For protection of the valve more than anything else, when not full.
Bless,
Kenny P.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom