Vortex is looking different!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
They're doing some work there and getting things spruced up for the busy season this year. The manmade cavern on the left (facing Doc's house) has been moved. It's now closer to the swim area. Plans are to get a crane over to pull them out of the basin for good. It's nice to see the main part of the basin so open and without that eye sore!

The training pool is also looking pretty decent. They're pumping water into it and directing it out so there is now water movement that has opened up the visibility a bit. Looked to be about 20' of visibility today.

They also have a new grill in the large pavilion. Only open on weekends right now, but will probably be open 7 days a week over the summer.

Finally, the dive shop is also looking different. They sold off most of their tech gear and much of the rest of the gear is heavily discounted. They even have a couple of Mobby's trilam drysuits for $350 each. All they need is new seals.

Looks like things are happening!

The latest word from Lowell, the owner, is the sims will remain in the shallow area near the creek allowing new structures to be placed in the deeper spring area. There is a helicopter canopy on site set to be placed in the deeper part of the spring within the next few weeks. Also, the training pond will feature platforms placed at varying depths for class training. Looks like some great changes are coming for Vortex Springs!

The latest word from Lowell, the owner, is the sims will remain in the shallow area near the creek allowing new structures to be placed in the deeper spring area. There is a helicopter canopy on site set to be placed in the deeper part of the spring within the next few weeks. Also, the training pond will feature platforms placed at varying depths for class training. Looks like some great changes are coming for Vortex Springs!

If that's really the case, then that will only make things worse. The original plan had been to remove the manmade crap and try to return the basin to its original state. Leaving them in there and placing that hunk of metal from the helicopter in the basin will definitely not be an improvement. I wonder if the state is aware of the plan to dump trash in one of its springs. I certainly hope you misunderstood Lowell. I didn't speak with him today, but I did speak with a couple other employees and their understanding is the manmade caverns are to be moved to the pond and the helicopter is to also be placed in the pond. I hope they are right.

Dang... sounds like they are turning the spring into a quarry dive :/

Dang... sounds like they are turning the spring into a quarry dive :/

Maybe they're just still looking for Ben?

Cd....

Heading over that way today. I have never been there, but will let you know how it looks when I return Sunday. Time to break out the new BP/W and retire the Ranger...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom