Vortex Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dixiecowgirl

Reaction score
ey. I just got back from Vortex. That was the best trip I have ever went on. I baby-sat for my boyfriends brother while his family went and got C-card. Anyway. That place is a great place. The people were a little wild but that was about it. THE WATER IS WAY TO COLD!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to start my scuba classes at the end of September. Wish it was sooner though. Well I might not be C-carded yet but I am still interested in the sport. Hey Yall send me any information yall have to my email. Thanks.

I was just at Vortex springs two weeks ago. Now Im back in south dakota.

Ill be back to Vortex in December .

I had a BLAST.
Its a fun place to hang out and dive.
The people in the shop are nice.
Decent camp ground.
Wasnt at all busy when I was there./

Hey if you need a good instructor contact Marco Marciti through Panama City Dive Center in Panama City

Tell him Brian from South Dakota Sent you , :)

I had a good time there. It was the end of the summer weekend so there was a lot of people there and they were all wild. I enjoyed the kiddy area more than the one with the platform and all. I am going back soon maybe in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully it wont be as crowded.

It was so cold!!!!:drown: thought i would die!!!!!!!!!

I just finished certification this past weekend. Weekend before last was our first out-of-pool dive over at Vortex. I had no idea it was popular enough for people from all over the US to visit :)

It was a great dive, 30'+ visibility, and 68ºF water :eek:ut: not too bad - there are colder springs in the area :wink:

Tonight is the first class of scuba I am taking. I am going to try to do it in a course of like 3 weeks. maybe sooner. I am going 4times a week to my class so i dont know. man there is a lot to do in the manual. TO MANY QUESTIONS/ANSWER!!!!!!!!! Guess I had rather be safe though

I was there last weekend and while it was a reasonably nice facility there were a few things that bothered me:

• Most of the staff I dealt with was rather surly and uncooperative. When I'm paying $25 bucks a day to dive and $80 bucks a night to sleep, I expect better service, or at least a friendlier attitutude.
  • There was a TON of people there in a tiny area generally mucking visibility up.
  • There's no sort of restriction to keep OW divers from entering the cavern area
  • The tunnel has lights in it, which only further encourages OW divers to enter an Overhead Environment
  • The Grate is a couple of hundred feet back. If you really want to keep untrained people from wandering in too far, it should be closer to the entrance.

All in all it was a fairly cool place, I just didnt agree with some of the practices I saw in place there. And it sure as heck beats anywhere we have around here to dive.

Cave Diver once bubbled...
[*]The Grate is a couple of hundred feet back.
This is a nit, but my occasional "accuracy fanatic" side comes out... the grate's a bit over 300' from the cavern entrance.
E. :wink:

dixiecowgirl once bubbled...
Tonight is the first class of scuba I am taking. I am going to try to do it in a course of like 3 weeks. maybe sooner. I am going 4times a week to my class so i dont know. man there is a lot to do in the manual. TO MANY QUESTIONS/ANSWER!!!!!!!!! Guess I had rather be safe though

You weren't the cute blonde chick from Robertsdale at the picnic table to the right of a group of homely fellas from the same area are you? :wink:

Small world if so.

SuPrBuGmAn once bubbled...

You weren't the cute blonde chick from Robertsdale at the picnic table to the right of a group of homely fellas from the same area are you? :wink:

Naw I was in Opelika Alabama. Wheres Robertsdale at?
Small world if so.

Epinephelus once bubbled...

This is a nit, but my occasional "accuracy fanatic" side comes out... the grate's a bit over 300' from the cavern entrance.
E. :wink:

LOL! No problem. I wasnt diving with my reel and I guesstimated it to be about 320' to the grate. But since it wasn't my reel and I had never actually measured the amount of line on it, it I figured I would give them the benefit of the doubt on distance.

Back
Top Bottom