Vortoberfest VI - 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, Elena is not cavern certified, so I want a nice basin for her to play in while I cavern/cave dive in one of these. I think Cyprus was the one they were talking about earlier in this thread.

The basin at Cypress is second to none, albeit a bit smallish. Find Vernon, FL on your favorite map, go up 277 from the middle of town, take a left at Culpepper Lane and it dead ends into Holmes Creek at a boat launch. The information for renting canoes has been posted within the last few pages. Its a pretty 1 mile paddle upstream and a great dive.

Its an OK, smallish cavern, lots of shells in the walls. There's maybe 15' of cave(past the cavern zone), after a bottle off restriction, then bedding plane about 4" tall.

Got a canoe lined up at cotton landing for Cypress. Got room for one more person. I will be at Vortex around 7-8am. pm me if anyone is interested

PM Pam, she was looking for someone to split a canoe with a page ago.

Well camp is set up and about to grill some dogs. Hmmm what will I do next. No one else is here. I will be up for some dinner plans this evening.
61349af4-ff80-a354.jpg

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Us too. 7pmish?
Call cell 4075090947

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

PM Pam, she was looking for someone to split a canoe with a page ago.
I will pm her.

Has anyone dove the other spring basin down from culpepper landing?

I will pm her.

Has anyone dove the other spring basin down from culpepper landing?

Beckton?

Yes.

Currently you will need commando skills to access it though. There is a tree just below the water line, and a second just above the water line. You have to thread the canoe between the two trees, climb over the top tree, and back into the canoe on the other side, for all passengers.

It's barely worth the work.

Since the rains have been kind, there's decent viz in the basin, but if you drop so much as a toenail into the bottom, it will silt the hell out of the place.

There is a cavern entrance just big enough for you to put your head into, and possibly something beyond (ask Mat, he likely knows) but I wasn't tempted in the least to put more than a flashlight in there, as it's tight, whatever it is, and I'm not trained or equipped for such, and probably wouldn't bother if I was (did I mention it's tight?).

Unless you just HAVE to check something off in your dive log, I'd skip it and spend that extra psi at Morrison or Cypress, which are 100 times more beautiful.

Well, if any of ya see a grey haired, and what's left is bald, old man wearing a 1st Cav hat with pilots wings on it, that'll be me . . .

Some Ray-Bans and I could do the "napalm in the morning" thing.

the K

we now have a water melon, hamburgers & buns and brats & buns to kick in for dinners, with eggs & bacon for the sunday brekkie. Should be there about 24 hrs from right now.

Don't know the name of it. just know you go down stream from Culpepper landing. Then turn right and go upstream. It has been a long time since I have been there.

All packed up! Will be there around 0730-0800. I will have a white Alabama hat on. So if you see a poor lost person. it will be me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom