Vortoberfest VII - 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does everyone camp in the same area?
If so what are the campsite numbers to ask for ?
What do most of the divers, dive on Saturday?
Is there a place to shop for food close?
How many folks usually attend this event?
Is alcohol allowed?

Sorry for all the questions but since we are rookies at your event, just wondering what we are in for.:D

Is there a HOW TO SURVIVE VORTEXFEST guide posted somewhere??????

Dennis! It'd be cool to hang out with you guys again :)

Camping at Vortex is all in the same relative area, not spread out all over the park like at Ginnie.

Saturday is a mixed bag of diving, you can count on people diving Vortex, Morrison, Cypress, Mill Pond and likely some offshore/beach diving shinanigans in the Panama City Beach area(a little better than an hour south).

Theres a Family Dollar and Circle K in town, and 15 minutes west is Defuniak Springs which has Super Walmarts as well as anything else you'd want.

There's typically 30-50 attendees(including regular intendees bringing students into the mix) that end up in loose groups throughout the park.

Alcohol is officially not allowed, but its tolerated as long as we don't make asses of ourselves too badly it seems.

Thursday - Early-birds arrive and set up camp. Diving is usual at local springs (Vortex, Morrison, Cypress). Food is usually of the restaurant-type, and there are a handful of decent restaurants within driving distance. On SOME occasions there is decent grub provided by vendors AT Vortex, but don't bank on it.

Friday - Same as Thursday, but volume increases. Sometimes there will be camp grub available, but it's usually simple stuff, or stuff that was premade and heated on-site. Most folks seem to arrive Friday evening in time to make camp before dusk.

Saturday - Diveapalooza! Everyone goes off in different directions to dive, some stay local, others go to Jackson Blue for cavern/cave diving. A significant group goes to Panama City for saltwater dive charters or shore diving.

Saturday Night - Cookout! Everything from hotdogs and hamburgers to cave-country boils, steaks, and cream cheese-stuffed jalapeno peppers wrapped in teriyaki-soaked venison tenderloin. !@#$%^ #@!$% that was good grub... Whoever brought those peppers needs to bring more. Those things were AWESOME!

Anyway, bring some grillable vittles. There is a large community grill, and smaller grills at every other campsite. Everyone sort-of shares food. If you have too many hot-dogs, and your neighbors have too many hamburgers, then both groups benefit from each other.

Alcoholic beverages are "not allowed", but a blind eye is turned for the 'Fests. As long as there's no table dancing and falling down, you should be fine. But...... if you're diving early the next morning (especially from a boat), then it's bad form to show up at the dock with alcohol on your breath. No one wants to see what you ate the night before. On the other hand :D most folks don't dive Sunday, and most folks enjoy an adult beverage or six on Saturday, before, during, and after the cookout :eyebrow:

Sometimes there are raffles, prizes, karaoke, and the like, but really, Saturday night is all about food and fellowship. Don't be afraid to ask questions or introduce yourself. We're all divers, and we all (mostly) :wink: get along.

Sunday - Remember the folks enjoying adult beverages or six before, during, and after the cookout? They like to sleep a few hours late and can be seen shuffling around camp in the morning, hoping for a strong cup of coffee, and perhaps an Advil or three :wink: Most folks grab a camp breakfast, and either break camp, or grab an early dive before heading back.

Sounds like you guys covered everything. :D

My buddy Sabrina and I are booked at Pineview. Hoping to go along with someone to Cypress again this year Saturday or Sunday. Sabrina didn't get to go last time because she was doing Advanced Checkouts.

Pam - Just go to Vernon, rent a canoe, and go to Cypress. We will be happy to give you detailed directions and you don't have to depend on anyone else....

T

Pam - Just go to Vernon, rent a canoe, and go to Cypress. We will be happy to give you detailed directions and you don't have to depend on anyone else....

T

Even though I could probably find my way there again, it is more fun to go with other people.

It is fun to go with other people and the purpose of the fests is to meet other divers and cement relationships. Cypress is also at it's most beautiful when it is not crowded. You have become a totally great diver and photographer and I thought that you might want to see the spring when it's clear and inviting. I was also letting you know that if Sabrina wants to see the spring that you two could very well on your own schedule..... Your own schedule would also allow you to invite others who have not been there to follow you on a grand adventure.

Roxanne, don't hold my behaviour in Mexico against me. I think they have a different recipe for margaritas down there. I actually do live up to my name at the fests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom