VPlanner on PC versus VPlanner on Phone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I got a new phone. It's droid versus windows phone.

Is there any reason for me to purchase the $85 PC version of VPlanner?

I've done fine on my phone so far, but hope to get input from those of you that have dived it a lot more frequently.

:bump:

Anyone?

I have both (actually all 3, since I have an X1 running VPlanner). There are some minor differences on how easy it is to get the data you are looking for. Another one for me is the ability to print out custom tables on the PC version. I print these out and laminate to my slate w/ clear packing tape.

Perhaps you can do this on your phone w/ a wireless networked printer, but I've never tried.

Just buy both and help support Ross :)

John

I have both (actually all 3, since I have an X1 running VPlanner). There are some minor differences on how easy it is to get the data you are looking for. Another one for me is the ability to print out custom tables on the PC version. I print these out and laminate to my slate w/ clear packing tape.

Perhaps you can do this on your phone w/ a wireless networked printer, but I've never tried.

Just buy both and help support Ross :)

John

I email my custom tables to myself. :giggle:

Can you tell me if there are more features on the PC that I might want to try?

Call me old fashioned, but I talk on my phone. 3 years ago I was wrestling with this issue when I was still cutting tables to dive. I bought an acer re-con net book on sale at amazon for 199.99. I was the coolest kid on the boat during si. What we are diving somewhere else for dive 2 and three? No problem, whip out my net book and run vplanner.
Eric

Call me old fashioned, but I talk on my phone. 3 years ago I was wrestling with this issue when I was still cutting tables to dive. I bought an acer re-con net book on sale at amazon for 199.99. I was the coolest kid on the boat during si. What we are diving somewhere else for dive 2 and three? No problem, whip out my net book and run vplanner.
Eric

As opposed to the kid that whips out his iphone or droid and does the same? :snicker:

I email my custom tables to myself. :giggle:

Can you tell me if there are more features on the PC that I might want to try?

Why don't you download a free trial copy and check it out. It does have some limits on what the trial version does, but should give you an idea. I don't play w/ the phone version much, but I was playing with it just now, and it isn't immediately obvious to me how to get to the lost gas/contingency planning (more depth, more time) that you can do in the PC version.

You could always ask Ross about the differences, he typically responds fairly quickly to questions.

John

Reactions: Jax
As opposed to the kid that whips out his iphone or droid and does the same? :snicker:

Sorry,
The kids on my play ground can barely text and you want droid and iphone apps?
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
Eric

Reactions: Jax
Why don't you download a free trial copy and check it out.
John

Actually, I did that, but there wasn't enough functionality to make a good comparison. What little I saw made it 'meh'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom