VRX or Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cireson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
was wondering about which would be better for a fairly new diver. Any advice on these two computers? Not a t-diver so wasnt sure of i needed the Perdix as I am familiar with Oceanic due to owning a datamask. Thanks everyone.

Observed the VTX (rebranded A300CS) a couple years back and was not impressed. It consumed batteries like no tomorrow and the display was unreadable in direct sunlight.
I have yet to hear a discouraging word on the Perdix.

VRX is a terrible computer in terms of batteries and visibility of screen in shallower waters in addition to other issues. The Perdix AI has "recreational" mode in addition to technical mode and doesn't appear to have any of the VRX issues. The VRX is a glorified overpriced strictly recreational computer with many flaws. There is no reason to buy the VRX, no advantage over the Perdix at all. Even if you are never going to be doing any sort of technical diving, no reason to buy the VRX not only when compared with the Perdix, but also when compared to almost any other AI computer out there.

You can search for reviews on the VRX (or the Aeris A300CS) on SB and you find nothing but complaints about it.

Last edited:
I have the Aeris A300 CS (the Oceanic VTX). It was the first OLED DC with air integrated. Overall, it is a good computer with one flaw: horrible battery life. I'd cycle rechargeable batteries every 2 dives. It does eat rechargeable batteries that fast.

Honestly, I'd highly recommend the Perdix. There is no company in the scuba industry that backs their products to the same level. 2nd place is distant. You'll never ever outgrow it. The customization, ease of use (you don't need a manual), customer support, go for the Shearwater.

Another vote for the Perdix. Got mine a few months ago. Great readability in day or night conditions. Simple and intuitive to use for recreational and ready to grow with you if you decide to go tech route.
Several hard-diving friends have put various Shearwater models through the paces, and nobody has needed a replacement or repair - other than wanting the newest model. :thumb:

I really appreciate all the comments . Really helped me to choose between the two. Dive buddy also agrees since he is a Perdix owner as well. Thanks everyone.

I feel so weak and lacking of willpower, FedEx showed up today:yeahbaby:
Perdix.jpg

And the Perdix AI costs less than the VTX...

Good to hear the positive 'real world' reviews. I'm gettin' close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Perdix AI's for a couple of reg sets for an upoming Oct 2017 Guanacaste – Bat Island, Costa Rica (Aggressor) liveaboard trip. (just don't trust Atomic Cobalts anymore, based on my own experiences and way-too-many internet horror stories)

I have had mine Perdix AI now for some months. Not doing any tech stuff yet. But done one LB in thailand and about 20 dives here in Sweden. Its working perfect for both different water (blue/good viz to dark/bad viz). My last computer were Oceanic Atom 2, which I liked, but with the perdix the atom isnt close to regarding info, upload, and so on..
1+ for perdix.

Back
Top Bottom