VT3 or Galileo Sol???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know how it compares in price, but the Suunto Vytec has a beautiful, large display.

Mike, DIR and recreational diving aren't incompatible, not at all. DIR is an approach to diving that works for recreational AND technical dives. Although I have gone on to cave training, the vast majority of my diving is and has been within recreational depths and times. Someone is "ready for DIR" when they decide that that approach to diving makes sense to and for them, and that they're willing to commit some time and effort to mastering the skills. Eventually, one has to bring one's equipment into line as well, but for example, many people begin their DIR training with a computer, and only switch it to gauge mode after some time.

The way I see it and understand it. DIR is a unique concept promoting the safety of divers that incorporate a standard of diving. These divers know their limits, equipment and best practices.

It's like entering the military, you have one type of uniform, one type of weapon, and one type of ration. When the drill sargeant trains he knows his platoon; he understands their weapon, rations etc, there is no second guessing when he's trying to correct them to make them in fact better soldiers, yes they are good, but he will make them better.

Yes you are a good recreational diver, DIR will make you better.

Yes anyone can dive and call it recreational but those that take it to DIR are in fact DOING IT RIGHT and for a reason; the ocean is in fact a non forgiving entity that can show beauty one second and then claim a life at the blink of an eye.

Please dive safe...

Mike G

No insult intended, but I don't think you understand it.

Comming from the amount of dives you have logged I'm not going to ask you to explain DIR to me but could you give me a generic link to DIR so I could better understand it? :confused:

I appreciate your candid response and being that I'm a college instructor at a private JC, I wasn't insulted, I don't know you to have that type of attachment...

Please no battle grounds on my thread if you wish to help, please feel free if not then sorry for my lack of knowledge...

Thanks, :)

MG

Better yet, come out and dive with some of the local DIR crew sometime. There's a limit to the quantity (and quality) of what can be picked up on the internet.

rhlee is completely right, and you are lucky to have an active and very nice DIR community in Monterey to hook up with. A couple of dives with them, and you'll have a MUCH better sense of what the whole approach to diving is about.

rhlee is completely right, and you are lucky to have an active and very nice DIR community in Monterey to hook up with. A couple of dives with them, and you'll have a MUCH better sense of what the whole approach to diving is about.

I thought according to the 3rd law of GIII there was to be no diving with non-DIR divers. You know the S/*%&@s...:eyebrow:

Blister

Ok, one side point here.

Yes, the Galileo Sol is COMPLETELY overkill for diving, if 100% of your diving will be hardcore tech diving that mandates computers in gauge mode, cut tables, etc.

Yes, at this point in the OP's diving, it's entirely possible that that money and should be put towards training and/or other gear that will move him towards a fully DIR gear config, if that's what he's seeking.

The Galileo Sol (and the Galileo Terra) is, however, 100% DIR-Compliant. There is NOTHING about it that is not perfectly suited to conducting the most extreme dives pretty much anyone reading this thread will ever contemplate. It's a fantastic computer, and a fantastic (if over-priced) bottom timer. In other words, his Galileo Sol/Terra will do everything your simple BT will do, and it do it BETTER from the standpoint that the screen is larger and more legible. It will just cost more to do it.

It also has extensive uses in a pure recreational context. If he wants to jump on a livaboard and do 5-6 easy recreational dives to 50' max depth every day, the Galileo Sol will be great for that (as would the Terra). It's got a great backlight, it's easy on the eyes, it has a large display that easy on aging eyes, you name it. It has a LOT going for it. I'd wager that if it was $300, most of you would be falling over yourselves to buy one.

But it's not cheap. It's $1500 or whatever. So you've deemed it too expensive, overkill, and a waste of money. And arguably, you're right... from a STRICT DIR viewpoint. But... since when is overkill not permitted? (this from the same crowd that spends $100-200 on backup flashlights?) And from other viewpoints (will the OP be doing DIR dives all the time? Only time will tell.), it's a perfectly viable option, if someone has no objection to spending the money. And, again, other than cost (which honestly should have nothing to do with a DIR decision), there is NOTHING in it's feature set that would prohibit it from being used in a 100% DIR-compliant manner.

When doing DIR dives, you would not be taking full advantage of all of it's features. But that does not mean it's not well suited to DIR diving.

I agree the Galileo Terra is probably a better, less expensive option if heartbeat monitors and wireless AI holds no allure, but again, we're getting back to monetary decisions and moving AWAY from whether or not the computer is compatible with a DIR gear configuration... because it is.

But it's not cheap. It's $1500 or whatever. So you've deemed it too expensive, overkill, and a waste of money. And arguably, you're right... from a STRICT DIR viewpoint.

True, but the question was posed in a DIR forum, with a question stem specifically requesting a DIR answer. A similar computer encrusted with 5ct diamonds would by the same argument also be just as well suited to DIR diving (or perhaps even moreso) if it had basic depth gauge functions, but would anyone recommend it over a cheaper solution that does the same thing, again in a DIR context as originally queried by the OP?

we're getting back to monetary decisions and moving AWAY from whether or not the computer is compatible with a DIR gear configuration... because it is.

This is getting a bit into the whole Halcyon debacle, but I always thought that a big part of DIR was that you shouldn't waste money on gimmicks and extraneous gadgets that you don't absolutely need underwater? And from a general DIR viewpoint, a fully-featured computer is "basically a waste of money." Agree or not, it's a legitimate DIR viewpoint, one that takes into account monetary concerns.

PS - please don't cancel my DIN plug order :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom