Want a new Hood that doesn't "choke"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mallbritton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings, everyone. I've recently moved back to the West Coast, to the Greater LA area, and want to start diving more regularly now that I'm close to the water. The majority of my diving has been in Asia and Indonesia in warm water so I'm relatively inexperienced in cooler waters and the gear to keep warm.

Yesterday I went diving with a local dive shop (a boat dive) and since it is the Pacific off the coast of LA I needed to wear a hood along with a 7mm wetsuit, 5mm boots and 3mm gloves. Over all I was comfortable except I felt like the hood was strangling me. I called the second dive because of it and I felt like I needed to throw up (I didn't actually throw up but it sure felt like it and it felt hard to breath).

I currently have a Henderson 5/3mm AquaLock hood, and it does fit me. I made sure of that before I left the shop with it. But in the water, all geared up, it doesn't feel great. So... some advice please. Should I be looking for a new hood, or maybe just using the one I have differently. What might be the disadvantage of not putting the collar under my wetsuit? Other than my neck being cold? Would something like a "sport cap" be an adequate alternative?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

It's not uncommon for experienced divers that aren't used to wearing a hood to feel overly restricted and uncomfortable in the early days. The good news is that it will feel normal after a while. That said, a quality, well fitted hood is one of the most important items in any cold water divers kit box. I highly recommend the Waterproof H1, but I'm sure others have equally valid suggestions of their own.

I bought a Mares hood but the neck was too short.
Consistently came untucked when turning my head.

Bought a Henderson hooded vest it fits great, but I find it very constricted around the neck if I wear it under the wetsuit.
However if I wear it over the wetsuit it doesn't bother me at all.

How does your hood feel by itself, does it only bother you when worn under the wetsuit?

I have a Henderson 5/3 mm that I finally cut down to the perfect size by cutting off most of the giant bib. It now only covers my chin, my neck, with an Inch and a half laying flat on my chest and back (instead of the entire massive bib. Its about 10,000 times more comfortable and I can easily pull it off with one hand under water with left hand (mask on wrist or bolt-snap and second stage in right hand) after ascending from 47-50 degree water to 70+ degree water. I would try trimming the bib. Huge difference.

Hoods are like other neoprene wet garments: the snugger, the warmer, up to the limit of being way too tight.

You just have to find out where the optimal balance is for you. Me, I prefer my cold water hood to be on the snug side and can live very well with a bit of restriction in exchange for being warmer.

Go to a shop with a good selection and try some on...buy the one that fits you best.

I have had good luck with Beuchat hoods compared to other brands, but you really just need to try on different makes, models, and sizes.

-Z

Do you have a photo? This sounds like it might be a solution.

I may have miss-read. What I was describing was reducing bulk on the chest and back. If you're choking, you probably need a larger hood. I don't understand why so many "experts" are for too-tight hoods. The one I described is easy to don and doff but has no water-flushing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom