Want to get certified, trying to lose weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the previous poster about the amount of lead, i'm 5'7 and 140lbs and I dive with 18lbs of lead in salt water

My wife has been having a hard time also. She just can't lose it...when she does it comes right back.
She is more than 240 and has been letting emotions get to her. That does not help with weight loss. I am 266lbs and 5'9...I am even having a rough time with it and I am a guy...it was so much easier to gain it.

Last edited:
Is there some sort of target weight that divers should attain in order to get certified?

I have not really scuba dived, but I anticipate that my problem would be the complete opposite. I am terribly underweight (lighter than 90 lbs) and petite. I shed all of the pounds I gained during pregnancy.

Is there some sort of target weight that divers should attain in order to get certified?

I have not really scuba dived, but I anticipate that my problem would be the complete opposite. I am terribly underweight (lighter than 90 lbs) and petite. I shed all of the pounds I gained during pregnancy.

Long as the suit fits and you can float when needed,weight is just a number (anorexic or morbid obesity not withstanding)

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk HD

If you are healthy enough to do a fair bit of exercise, you should be fine. Plus, if you can fit in a child wetsuit, you'll save a bunch of cash! Call to make sure dive ops have XS gear if you'll need it. Some rent only down to a small.

Drink as much water as possible. No soda, no beer or alcohol, no fruit juice,limited whole grains, no ice cream or cake, no pizza, etc. Read the labels, most yogurt has as much sugar as soda. Nothing but water/tea and some veggies after dark. Egg white ommlettes with spinich tomatoes,mushrooms and bacon will leave you very satisfied. Fruits like grapes should be avoided, eat berries instead. No bannanas. No fast food. You won't even miss this stuff after a while, and you can also add somethings back once the weight starts to drop. Real dark chocolate is ok, but no candy bars. You can do it. Drink herb tea with lemon or ginger, not sugar or honey.

The first thing to do of you want to lose weight is: Get the garbage out! Meaning do not buy ANY stuff that can make you fat. What's not in the house can't be eaten. My daughter and me lost over 15 kg doing just that. Activities make you fitter, but they do not make you ant thinner. You would have to exercise for hours every day. That is not going to happen.. But also to get fitter try to incorporate movement into everyday life. Take the stairs etc. I even go to the supermarket on foot, so everything I buy has to be carried home. I assure you that you think about anything you buy when you have to carry it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I just dove in Cozumel last week at 236lbs. Everyone is buoyant and that is why you use weights in your BCD to help you sink. I feel for you though, it is uncomfortable on deck. But don't let it keep you from diving. I used 23 pounds of weight and it was slightly too heavy but better than not enough. Diet wise, you are probably eating too many carbs. That is my problem. When I cut out the carbs, I drop weight like crazy without exercise. Diet is 90% of weight issues. You could exercise for hours and not see the scale move if you aren't eating properly. Good luck!!! Just keep diving! :wink:

I know this thread started 2 years ago. I hope by now you're certified and loving diving as much as the rest of us. I'm 5'8" and 230lbs, about what I was when I got certified. I didn't let my stature stop me. Other than my weight, I'm healthy (no co-morbidity) and fairly strong for a woman. I just dove this summer in Rockport, MA, in a 7mm suit with 30lbs of lead. And it was a shore dive so walking across the rocks with all of the gear (and extra weight) to the water was sobering indeed. But I did it and I'm proud because I was strong enough to haul that gear. But it didn't stop me from wanting to be a better diver, and improving my diet. As others have said, water is the great equalizer.

I've had a lot of success with MyFitnessPal...logging my food and my exercise. Start with just understanding what & how much you eat. For some it's carbs, for some it's portion size, for some it's not eating enough. But you also need to focus on muscle mass...not just because it will help you sink (I'm a floater too) but because it will also help you lose weight...muscle burns more calories than fat. Focus on strength training and intersperse some cardio...you'll melt away.

And if you dive more, you'll lose more.

16 Years ago when I did my open water I was only 120lbs now two back surgeries later I am at 180lbs and decided to get back into Diving. I find it very difficult to get out of the pool with all my equipment on (not as strong as I once was) I decided that after my trip down south I will just continue going to the pool to practice every week and surely that will aid in getting the weight down! I am also trying to not eat a lot of carbs and sugar ( but I love them) Keep up the good work and don't stress to much, you will lose it, just takes time and patience....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom