Want to get certified, trying to lose weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish I'd seen your post earlier!

I'm shorter than you but probably around the same BMI. It hasn't stopped me from diving. I don't have thyroid issues but I have trouble losing weight. I like my food too much (!) and when I do exercise I put on muscle so never really seem to lose weight.

A few of pointers I will give that have helped me a lot.
- Floating isn't always about fat - it can be about not relaxing and breathing out. If you are a bit anxious it can mean that you are not breathing out with long slow breaths as you descent. You can help this situation with more water confidence - eg spending time snorkeling and duck diving. Another thing is also learning to relax and control your breathing - yoga is great for this!
- Cardio vascular fitness is important. Don't focus on losing weight so much as improving cardio vascular fitness and that'll go a long way. A regular program of walking or going to the gym, going swimming or other exercise will really help. I has to be regular and you have to keep at it. Any walking groups, aqua aerobics or similar you could join?

Anyway really hope you get to go diving! It's worth it!

I told my trainer the #1 reason I wanted to lose weight is to get scuba certified. I've been told I don't really HAVE to lose weight but the last time I dove was in Bonaire during a DSD course and I had on 20lbs of weight and I still floated. I'm about 5'7" and weigh 238. I've been steadily putting on weight for the last 10 years or so and haven't had much success at losing. I'm afraid my thyroid condition is going to make it very difficult for me to lose. I've been working with my trainer for about 3 weeks now and while I feel better and more engergized and my cardio is slowly improving, nothing's moving on the scale. I'm also going to start swimming again.

I'm REALLY bouyant. I can in a float in a pool or the ocean without using any floatation device. I really did not enjoy having all the equipment, tank, weights, etc. I felt huge, heavy and very cumbersome on the deck and in the water.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I have never been overweight, but I like everyone else has to struggle with the gear weight. The only thing I know is that when you get more experienced with your gear, buoyancy and trim you will feel MUCH less huge and cumbersome under the waves. In fact you will wish it could be like that all the time. It is when you get to the boat and have to board then reality kicks back in. So continue to dive whatever your justification is and soon you will be diving for diving's sake and if you lose weight great. Have fun.

Just my two cents, but so much of my comfort in the water has to do with my gear configuration. I'm absolutely anti-vest for my BC because wearing one makes me feel like a penguin. Try different gear out whenever you can, you'll find something that feels right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, maybe this has already being mentioned. I'm a heavy person I'm around 170cm and 80 kg. But I sink straight to the bottom every time I get into water. Usually I dive with 2Kg strapped to the bottle if it's aluminium.

So, I think the weight is part of it, but also how... dense your body is. I hate doing cardio, so I just do some weights to keep in shape, the more muscle I build the less lead I need. So, maybe focus into getting some extra muscle, you will thank for it when having to carry your stuff around and maybe it helps you get rid of some lead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom